What Is Lighter In Weight? Rkt Covered In Fondant Or Styro?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 1:04pm by anasazi17

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:17am
post #1 of 11

I need to make a 3D Mickey Mouse head.Would it be lighter to cover RKT in fondant or a styrofoam ball? I will need to mount it on a dowel...

Ahhhhh...How do I get myself into these dilemas icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I don't feel confident..... icon_wink.gif

Laurel icon_redface.gif

10 replies
anasazi17 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:21am
post #2 of 11

Hi!! OMG I just did this (Mickey's Clubhouse in my pics) I used RKT...it was heavy, but the customer was very adamant that it was all edible. I believe I made it pretty sturdy I jammed a dowel all the way thru the Mickey's body into the cake board, put a few support straws, then attached the head to the dowel using candy melts. It was super secure.

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:24am
post #3 of 11

Thanks so much for your response Anasazi17....My customer doesn't care what I make it from so I figured stryofoam would be easier.So do you think it will be sturdy with just sticking the dowel down and in..I am using a 8 inch round half ball cake pan and the cake is always very dense when it comes out.

I'm gonna check your photo as well...

Any more tips!!

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:25am
post #4 of 11

Wow...Awesome cake...What did you make the hand from?

christephenie Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:38am
post #5 of 11

I just did a ChuckE Cheese cake and put his head and arms on top, it could have easily been Mickey. I made it out of RK and it was very heavy but it was much easier to sculpt out of treats. I ran the dowl through his head down to the cake plate for support. See the pic on my photo page.

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:40am
post #6 of 11

Okay great!!! I'll check the photo Thanks Christephenie

anasazi17 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:53am
post #7 of 11

Thanks! I "pre-drilled" the dowel hole half way thru the head before inserting the dowel into the base. I then filled the hole with melts, slid the head on the dowel and it was set! I used maybe 2 bubble tea straws in the base as support...and the dowel. I made sure the dowel was all the way thru to the board--I didn't want the head to rip through the base.

I had a really tough time covering the head with fondant so I used royal and smoothed it out, that might have helped with the stable-ness of the head.

The hand is RKT fondant, the fingers are fondant. I bought coffee stirrer straws to attach them icon_smile.gif

Let me know if you need anything else with you Mickey head..I cursed my Mickey the entire time...so I am more than willing to pass on my trial and error lessons!!

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:01am
post #8 of 11

Great tips..What were the straws for?You say you used them to support the base but I am confused...

anasazi17 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:03am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Great tips..What were the straws for?You say you used them to support the base but I am confused...

Oh oops, I meant I put them in the base to support Mickey's head.

icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:10am
post #10 of 11

Hmmm..so you use the large dowel which his head and ears were supported and then more straws? Where did you stick them? Sorry..It must be getting late?

anasazi17 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:04pm
post #11 of 11

Hi! It was getting late for me...lol. Let's see if I can explain better after some rest (probably not!!) icon_smile.gif My head was pretty heavy so if you are going to use styro I am sure this would not apply. I didn't use the ball pan, but the doll pan so I just stuck 2 in the top as added support. Now that I think about it it might have been overkill in the support department...I just get paranoid icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%