Retail Display Help- Suggestions Appreciated

Business By dreamcakesmom Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 12:39am by Ursula40

dreamcakesmom Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 8

Up to now I have been doing cakes, cupcakes, pastries, etc directly to customer via phone and internet orders. I am going to talk with someone this week about "renting" counter space and retail space at a local shop to sell products like cupcakes, cookies, brownies, etc. Anyone do anything like this and any feedback, ideas, interesting way to present products?

7 replies
dreamcakesmom Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 8

No info? Anybody have cupcakes on display?

Dreme Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 8

I haven't worked with a retail location to do dipslays of my work yet, but I do have a little display at my home. Some of the work on my website are displays. You could do a few dummy cakes. Cupcakes and cookies can be preserved as dummies. Just dry everything out. Maybe get a little glass cupcake stand and do a few cupcakes with your cards for a display.

dreamcakesmom Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks Dreme!

johnson6ofus Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 8

There was a thread on cookies, I believe... and the discussion was ...Who owns it? who pays for theft/ breakage? Who absorbs stale losses? Again, this was in the cookie forum and they were talking about nice $1/ inch decorated cookies...

So, are you talking dummies or items for sale? Looks like items for sale.

The biggest problem, IMHO, is safe food handling issues as well as stale losses. Compound that with two profit margins- yours and the shop's.

But it may be helpful if you added the space/ dimension you have to work with as well as the store traffic and type.

dreamcakesmom Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 8

JOhnson6- Thanks for the input- yes I am looking at selling display. Here's the scoop- I having been looking at renting space for baking/decorating bot necessarily retail space but rather rent space of an already established food related business which I have believe it or not come across a few that are willing to rent space HOWEVER eveyryone has all these other ideas of how they want interest in what I do, ie portion of my sales, lower wholesale rates on my pastries for their cases etc. Basically I am trying to see if anyone else is any type of arrangement like this OR if people don;t rent kitchen space but have retail arrangements where they sell their pastries/cupcakes, etc in retail locations what type of arrangement. I didn;t think top look up in the cookie section since I really focus on cakes and cupcakes, brownies, etc but I will search over there as well

johnson6ofus Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 8

Dreamcakes- those were the issues addressed in cookies. Lots of opinions.. icon_biggrin.gif

But concerns were:
-name/ exposure versus wholesale pricing (worth the work?)
- breakage/ stale/ theft loses
- "cheap" labeling or marketing negative being associated with a different business out of the baker's control.
- food handling conditions of the new vendor.
- build up business, and then get "cut out" by other cheaper products/ bakers (exclusive vendor agreement needed).

I don't think anyone actually replied that had such an agreement, but many expressed concerns about potential pitfalls.

I can't help other than repeat the concerns here for you- ones that I thought/ and remember as valid.

Could be a win/ win for both of you- or a nightmare in the making. Hope it works out. GOOD LUCK!

Ursula40 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:39am
post #8 of 8

I did something similar once for a deli, I did make some money, but they made more with less (no) work.
I took the cookies in, they displayed and sold them, but I only was paid for the ones that sold, breakages were all on me, and believe me, there were plenty. They did not have them in a case, so customers were able to handle them (they were individually bagged, but as you can imagine, quite a few broke and it was noone "fault" I still cannot believe, that parents let their children pick them up and some "adults" also broke some, but only paid for unbroken ones. I did get a few customers from that stint though, hab my contact details on a sticker on each bagged cookie. They contacted me directly after buying a sample and ordered some cookies without the shop markup

Quote by @%username% on %date%