East Coast Rvers Or Truckers- Need Some Suggestions

Lounge By Auryn Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 11:24pm by Doug

Auryn Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all
I need to pick the brain of people that have traveled the east coast of the US in a large RV or with large transport trucks.
I wish it was because I am going on vacation in an RV but I am not.
I have to deliver a 25 foot boat (30' long behind the truck, 16 feet tall and weighing 5000lbs) from south Florida to just north of Boston.
I am driving it - leaving early Thursday morning of this coming week and hopefully getting there some time Friday.

I was hoping someone here had any experience or could recommend specific hotels, gas stations or rest stops along I-95 that are easier to navigate with such a beast.

There will be 2 of us. We are hoping to be able to do it non stop as it would be risky to stop at a hotel with the boat- can't risk the boat getting stolen. Our plan is to take off around 3 or 4 am thursday morning. Switch off drivers every 120 miles or so when we stop for gas so that we can take turns napping.

On the way back we will be able to stop to sleep since the trailer will be empty, but it will still be 30'long plus the truck- hence the hotel recommendations.

Thanks for reading this.

3 replies
Doug Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 4

well, most every walmart lets you park in their lot.

At EXIT 22 in Lumberton, NC the Walmart has two hotels right in front of it and another across the street with plenty of place for that big rig in the Walmart lot (may full size semis in there every night)-- all within walking distance of:
Outback
Texas Roadhouse
Zaxbys
Smithfield BBQ
Dairy Queen
Waffle House
Huddle House
Golden Corral
Burger King
Denny's

longer walk: Wendy's
and lots of other restaurants within a mile's drive (Italian, pizza, Japanese, Chinese, Fish Fry)

You'll go by it on way up just BEFORE you hit the NC State Police Truck Weigh Station.

Lumberton is about 1/2 way between NYC and Miami

Dillion SC has some good places too

and South of the Border, SC (north of Dillion and on the SC side of the state line) should be able to accommodate too -- tho' it's very touristy and a bit pricey

PILOT service stations ( http://www.pilottravelcenters.com/ ) and Flying J ( http://www.flyingj.com/flyingjPortalWebProject/flyingjPortal.portal ) both specialize in the BIG rigs and having parking and refueling facilities (one exit 17 Brunswick, Georgia has a Steak-n-Shake!!!!)

there is a big rig station at exit 17 in Lumberton (McDonalds, Huddle House, Wendy's, Ruby Tuesdays, Waffle House, Food Lion, and two off name hotels -- see this complete list of hotels in Lumberton: http://www.lumberton-nc.com/accommodations.php?a_category=1

and another at Exit 31 in St. Pauls, NC (Huddle House, Burger King, McDonalds and Holiday Inn)

-----

try --- oh do try -- to hit NYC LATE at night -- even then getting across the GW and on the the Cross Bronx Expressway so you can keep on 1-95 N will be a major headache!!!!

-----

if you do stop in Lumberton, you must give me a call so we can have a visit!!

Auryn Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 4

Oh Doug you rock
thank you so much- I am printing out everything you listed.

We are trying to drive through NYC in the middle of the night to avoid traffic - well at least to avoid the worst of it.

We are stocking up on tons of food and drinks so as to not have to stop on the way up, but on the way down we are definitely stopping to eat and sleep.

On the way home we have free reign to take as long as we want which would be great if we didn't have a monster trailer. Maybe if we find a hotel where we can safely park the empty trailer for a night or two we will do some sight seeing.
Well it won't really empty- we have to load up on about 2500 lbs of dirty to stabilize the trailer.

Doug Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auryn

Oh Doug you rock
thank you so much- I am printing out everything you listed.

We are trying to drive through NYC in the middle of the night to avoid traffic - well at least to avoid the worst of it.

We are stocking up on tons of food and drinks so as to not have to stop on the way up, but on the way down we are definitely stopping to eat and sleep.

On the way home we have free reign to take as long as we want which would be great if we didn't have a monster trailer. Maybe if we find a hotel where we can safely park the empty trailer for a night or two we will do some sight seeing.
Well it won't really empty- we have to load up on about 2500 lbs of dirty to stabilize the trailer.

ok...good...so my Walmart and I are ready to welcome you to this little corner of the world.

ps--make that 2,500lbs of CHOCOLATE ---

or if you want to be friend to every expat NYCer in FLA, 2,500 lbs of fresh real NYC bagels! (lox optional, will provide own creme cheese icon_rolleyes.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%