First Cake...does All This Sound Ok?

Decorating By Amy061810 Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 11:44pm by VentureSister

Amy061810 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 10

/I have my first wedding cake due this friday. It is a small wedding..so Im doing a 2 tier cake separated by cake columns. Im doing one 10" and 1 8" cake, with yellow roses between the tiers and on top of the 8" tier.

She wants marble..so I was thinking of doing the WASC and with the box cake mix adding in the chocolate marble to the WASC. - Has anyone done this before?

Planning on baking and frosting thursday. For the buttercream, Im going to do the viva method...can you use this same buttercream between the layers too?

For the roses, I know you are not supposed to use sprayed roses, but if I lay parchment down is this ok? - Or just order non-sprayed? -- I can get sprayed less expensive at sams...

Am I forgetting anything? Does all this sound ok???? Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated.

9 replies
VentureSister Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 10

Might be able to help a bit. I recently made a Marble birthday cake using the WASC and the chocolate version for the marbling. Just pour a layer of the WASC into your pan and drop dollops of the chocolate in various areas. Top with another layer of WASC. Take a small spatula and make a few swirls (not too many or it will blend completely). It works really well. You will only use a portion of the chocolate in comparison to the amount of WASC. Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

anasazi17 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 10

Hello! Yay for your first wedding cake! I can't speak to your cake mixes as I haven't tried that before. I usually bake on one day, ice the next. I find that if the cake sits a little longer (you can even freeze it over night) it behaves soooo much better. In this case I would bake Thursday, ice on Friday.

I use the same butter cream for everything. I use the Viva method as well..but go over that with a piece of computer paper--sooo smooth!! Parchment should work ok, even use a piece of clear acetate...I always try to get the non sprayed type, but plastic should be ok as long as they aren't coming in contact to the cake in anyway. I hope this helps...please post a picture when you are done!

Jenny

Amy061810 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 10

Venture sister: Thanks so much, that is a great idea. I have never made the chocolate WASC cake, but Im sure it will be just as good as the original one.

Anasazi: That sounds like great information. I will be sure to go over the whole cake with some paper, sounds like it works wonderfully. i have to deliver the cake friday am at 9, so that is why i was going to bake on thursday. Maybe bake wed...freeze...and frost thursday afternoon? will the cake be dry at all? Oh yeah....should i refrigerate the cake once im done frosting on thursday?

cakeville82 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 10

Have you ever made a cake for someone else before?

alsiemen Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 10

I've done a few marble WASC and everyone raved about them! I used DH mixes and measured a cup out of the batter added the choc to it, spooned it on then swirled. Good luck!

BeanCountingBaker Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:34pm
post #7 of 10

I recommend baking ahead and freezing I even try to make my butter cream ahead of time so when I start decorating everything is ready and I have extra time in case of a mishap. I made a wedding cake recently for the first time, I had all the cakes baked the previous weekend and in the freezer, I made fondant on Monday, buttercream on Teusday, and crumb coated on Wednesday so I could decorate on Thursday for a Friday delivery.

CWR41 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy061810

/I have my first wedding cake due this friday. It is a small wedding..so Im doing a 2 tier cake separated by cake columns. Im doing one 10" and 1 8" cake, with yellow roses between the tiers and on top of the 8" tier.

Just checking... do you already have or have you already ordered the 9" plate(s) along with the columns that will separate the two tiers?

Also, I'm not sure if your 10" and 8" cakes are one single layer each or two layers each, but a tier is typically two layers and would look best for a wedding cake. If you were planning to make them only one layer (2" tall instead of 4" tall each), I hope you have enough servings for this small wedding.

anasazi17 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:43pm
post #9 of 10

Ah yes! I meant to ask when you needed to have it done by. I would totally bake Wed, freeze overnight, then decorate Thursday. It won't get dry if you wrap it very well.(Plastic Wrap then foil or a ziploc) I just started freezing the cakes and they are wonderfully moist!! I don't refrigerate my cakes after they are decorated....I just keep them room temp.

VentureSister Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:44pm
post #10 of 10

Have you tried using the foam roller to smooth out your buttercream? The Viva paper towel method works well also. Personally, I prefer using the roller.
I use the same buttercream for everything. Just don't forget the icing damn. I did one time; icing each layer like it was the whole cake. It didn't work out as well.
Good Luck!
Can't wait to see the end results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%