Putting Fondant Accents On Bc

Decorating By AC7417 Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 5:26am by inspireddecorator

AC7417 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 9

This may sound like a dumb question but I'm new to cakes and only do it for family & I was wondering how well small fondant accents stay on the bc without sliding down the sides. I was wanting to make an animal print cake with bc and use fondant print..will it stay in an hour car ride...or will all the "animal print" slide down to the cake board by the time I get to my destination??

8 replies
Rusti Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 9

they should stay quite well, the snowflakes in my pictures were fondant accents on smooth BC and I had to transport it home from class.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 9

When I did this, I chilled the frosted cake just for a few minutes until the buttercream firmed up a bit. Then as it sat out, a thin layer of condensation formed on it. I used that moisture to help adhere the fondant dots. You could also apply the fondant before the frosting has crusted over.

I had made this cake and the other similar cake in my photos for a church auction. They held up for several hours until they were sold.

yummy Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 9

A small paint brush, a bowl of water, dip brush in water, srape excess water on side of bowl (you don't want your brush soaking wet), paint on the back of fondant (make sure you get edges) and stick.

No sliding off. If you use to much water the fondant will become soft and the color will blleed onto your iced cake.

hammer1 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 9

this is primarily all we do...look at our pictures...no problem...a little buttercream or touch of water to the back of the accents and stick them on.

KarolynAndrea Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 9

Just make sure you don't use too much water and there shouldn't be a problem with the decorations sliding off.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 9

I do it all the time with no issues, I've even put fondant decorations on ganache and it held. I usually have a small bowl and a small paint brush with me and just "paint" the backs of the fondant with water and stick on and smooth, magically it always seems to stay put icon_smile.gif

AC7417 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks so much...gonna give it a go & see what happens! I see everyone do it and figure it obviously works...but in my mind I just had visions of it sliding down little by little.

inspireddecorator Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:26am
post #9 of 9

I put fondant decorations on bc by brushing piping gel on them and they stay perfectly. Attached a cake for an example.

Quote by @%username% on %date%