Where To Put Birthday Message?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 4:37am by sweetiesbykim

cakesrock Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 11

I made a barbie doll cake sitting on a 12" round for my daughter's 3rd b-day. The 12 inch round is filled up with string work & ruffles and borders, so I have nowhere to put the happy birthday message because I cannot put it on the barbie's dress. I would appreciate ideas...
TIA!

10 replies
txdiann Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 11

I usually place the doll cakes on a larger cake board and put the birthday message on the board. Another idea is to make a sash for the doll with the birthday message on that.

yummy Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 11

It would help if you posted a picture, because we don't know what the board looks like. If you're using cutters, can you attach them on top of design (on board) in front of cake?

MJoycake Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 11

I always offset my doll cakes so they sit at the back of a 12" cake base (see my tinkerbell pics) - that leaves more room in the front of the skirt/dress for a message.

If you've already placed and decorated the cake, could you get a 16" board to set the 12" on top of and write the message on the edge of the 16" board?

SweetTsBakeshop Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 11

I would create a long rectangular sash and place over the base of your 12 in round, or on the Barbie's dress like txdiann said.

sweetiesbykim Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoycake

If you've already placed and decorated the cake, could you get a 16" board to set the 12" on top of and write the message on the edge of the 16" board?

DITTO!! icon_smile.gif

cakesrock Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 11

Here is the finished product. I took the great advice of setting the doll cake back on the 12 inch round so I could add the b-day message. I did something a bit different for the number though - I made a little bouquet. However, it was the most challenging part of the cake. The wire kept sliding out when I was trying to attach it to the dolls hand...but it was a fun and challenging cake and my little girl LUVS it!
Thanks for all the help ccers! icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

yummy Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 11:33pm
post #8 of 11

That looks great. I bet the birthday girl was thrilled.

letsgetcaking Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:04pm
post #9 of 11

What a pretty cake! I love how you did the bouquet with the number in it.

iamcakin Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:38pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetcaking

I love how you did the bouquet with the number in it.

thumbs_up.gif Ditto, I think little touches like this just make some cakes!

sweetiesbykim Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:37am
post #11 of 11

Just perfect!!! And LOVE the bouquet with the 3 -it was well worth the effort!! Great job icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%