Edna's Videos

Decorating By veghed Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 5:15am by mpetty

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 8

I want to make the roses and calla lillies that she made in her videos. I am a little confused about the foam pieces. I couldn't really tell what the small pink one was made out of. And I am not sure where to purchase either of them.

She also has a gumpaste recipe that I thought I would try, but then I read in one of the threads that someone uses fondant and adds tylose. I don't know which would be better??

How long in advance can you make the flowers and how should they be stored?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

7 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 8

gumpaste flowers can be made ages in advance - months even. just keep them out the light so they dont fade.

personally, i prefer straight gumpaste for flowers. really though theres not a noticeable difference int he finished flowers (although my gumpaste only ones come out thinner - but that might be my technique/ ability), its a personal preferance.

dont know what the foam is, she is on here, so just send her a pm. you can use a dresden tool to add veining your self.
xx

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 8

The pink foam pieces are made by Wilton and you can find them at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I think the thinnest piece is made out of material similar to the "fun foam" that you can find in the children's section at either store.

As for the gumpaste vs. fondant, I've read that the gumpaste recipe she uses works best for thin petals. It needs tylose as well and is actually pretty easy to make (just don't overmix after you add the tylose; when the recipe says a few seconds, it REALLY means no more than 3!).

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 8

Yeah like they said..
The thin and thick foam are from the Wilton company. They are found usually at craft stores that sells Wilton.
I prefer the gumpaste with tylose more than adding tylose to fondant. The feel
and elasticity is completley different, and even you do can make flowers out of the
tylose with fondant, the quality and feel is not the same.

Another thing is, once you add tylose to fondant, it tends to dry like a rock in matter of days. As for gumpaste made with tylose last for months..

Edna icon_smile.gif

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you for responding.

One more question: Can I airbrush or paint on the flowers?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:59am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by veghed

Thank you for responding.

One more question: Can I airbrush or paint on the flowers?

Yes you can airbrush a gumpaste flower. I usually prefer loose
powders because is more natural. You can hand paint but it gives a more shiny look.
Edna icon_smile.gif

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:05am
post #7 of 8

Just wanta say, EDNA ROCKS, ROCKS, ROCKS! I totally LOOOOVE her videos!

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:15am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkei

Just wanta say, EDNA ROCKS, ROCKS, ROCKS! I totally LOOOOVE her videos!

Amen! Excellent teacher, sweetheart to watch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%