Indydebi's Buttercream

Baking By GHOST_USER_NAME Updated 11 Aug 2014 , 1:35pm by denetteb

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 10:55pm
post #31 of 103

Is there a way to make it so it doesn't crust so quickly?

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:58pm
post #32 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubia

this is off topic ,but I can not resist.
honeyscakes ,I just read your signature ,how did you do that , come on you HAVE to share the weight loss secret thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I know isn't that amazing. You should check our honeycakes blog and see just what a "beauty" she is. thumbs_up.gif She also has a photo of the wedding cake that she made a couple of weeks ago on her blog and it is almost as beautiful as she is. icon_wink.gif

hey I wanna know too. please share icon_biggrin.gif

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:50am
post #33 of 103

Ohhhh, I'm looking forward to the cream cheese version too! I was about to try making Indydebi's recipe for the 2nd time. I made it over a year ago before I really knew how to make buttercream and let's just say it could be kneaded!

Have you used the cream cheese version under fondant? Also, I'm assuming with the cream cheese that it should be refrigerated - does it?

Thank you in advance for sharing!

DH2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DH2008 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:17am
post #34 of 103

Can't wait to try this tomorrow!!! Also would like to know about the cream cheese and choc version. Has anyone tried this w/ half butter, half crisco? And has anyone tried it w/ butter flavored crisco(if u dont need white white color)? SSSSOOOOOOOO excited to try it.

DH2008 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:21am
post #35 of 103

Sorry-one more question. Whats the best powdered sugar brand for a little or no grit result?

indydebi-what do you use?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 3:39am
post #36 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DH2008

Sorry-one more question. Whats the best powdered sugar brand for a little or no grit result?

I can't tell you what Indydebi uses but prefer Domino or C & H. I made a batch last week using General Dollar Store brand and it actually turned out very good. Of course I ALWAYS sift. Always thumbs_up.gif

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:03am
post #37 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayerim979

Quote:

Quote:

honeyscakes ,I just read your signature ,how did you do that , come on you HAVE to share the weight loss secret thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I know isn't that amazing. You should check our honeycakes blog and see just what a "beauty" she is. thumbs_up.gif She also has a photo of the wedding cake that she made a couple of weeks ago on her blog and it is almost as beautiful as she is. icon_wink.gif

come on ,some one help !!!! I am going nuts searching for her blog

Monirr04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monirr04 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:12am
post #38 of 103

Mamawrobin, I am so excited to see the cream cheese recipe!

Does anyone know how to make it into Chocolate BC by using Hershey Cocoa powder?
Thanks!!

mamawrobin Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:40am
post #39 of 103

Here is my version of Crusting cream cheese icing/Indydebi's buttercream variation.

1 2/3 cups Crisco
1 8 ounce box cream cheese (softened to room temperature)
4 LB. powdered sugar (SIFTED)
6 tablespoons Dream Whip
2 tablespoons vanilla (clear if you need white icing)
1 to 1 1/3 cups milk (I use half and half)

Put Crisco and cream cheese in mixing bowl and whip for 10-15 minutes.
Add about 1 1/2 pounds of the sifted powdered sugar, about 1/2 the milk and Dream Whip and mix until blended. Incorporate the rest of the powdered sugar, another 1/2 cup milk and vanilla. Let whip for at least 20 minutes. You may need to add up to 1/3 cups more milk...maybe even more. Just have to add until it "looks right". I like my icing pretty thick (still spreadable but thick)
I have also added 6 ounces of melted white chocolate to this icing and it is really, really good. It will require more milk if you add the chocolate, just add a teaspoon at a time until it "looks right". I used the icing with white chocolate added for a red velvet cake and it was a great flavor combination.

You can use half butter and half Crisco...I don't because of the heat and humidity in my area. This icing crust very well and will smooth beautifully using the viva method.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:15am
post #40 of 103
Quote:

I am not sure what Indydebi use's but most of the time I buy the large bags at Sams club, but no matter what you use always sift it..also if you use box cake mix, always sift it to..hope this helps.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:41pm
post #41 of 103
Quote:

Here is my version of Crusting cream cheese icing/Indydebi's buttercream variation.

1 2/3 cups Crisco
6 tablespoons Dream Whip

Add about 1 1/2 pounds of the sifted powdered sugar, about 1/2 the milk and Dream Whip and mix until blended. Incorporate the rest of the powdered sugar, another 1/2 cup milk and vanilla. Let whip for at least 20 minutes. You may need to add up to 1/3 cups more milk...maybe even more. Just have to add until it "looks right". I like my icing pretty thick (still spreadable but thick)
I have also added 6 ounces of melted white chocolate to this icing and it is really, really good. It will require more milk if you add the chocolate, just add a teaspoon at a time until it "looks right". I used the icing with white chocolate added for a red velvet cake and it was a great flavor combination.

You can use half butter and half Crisco...I don't because of the heat and humidity in my area. This icing crust very well and will smooth beautifully using the viva method.

Thanks mamawrobin for for posting your cream cheese/indydebi buttercream as you know I made some this weekend , I played with indydebis buttercream , I made mine a little diffrent I used more cream cheese but for the first time I feel it turned out well, I will try yours next time I make it.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:42pm
post #42 of 103
Quote:

1 2/3 cups Crisco
6 tablespoons Dream Whip

Thanks Mamawrobin. I can't wait to try this.

DH2008 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:57pm
post #43 of 103

Mamarobin & kraziboutcakes-so do u guys AlWAYS sift your ps, flours, and cake mixes? Also , never heard of c&h ps.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 3:04pm
post #44 of 103
Quote:

Mamarobin & kraziboutcakes-so do u guys AlWAYS sift your ps, flours, and cake mixes? Also , never heard of c&h ps.

C&H has been around forever, they have a great web site, google c&h sugar and check it out. I am sure some of your local stores carry it, call around. Yes I do always sift everything, flour, cake mix, sugar and so on , it takes a little extra time but well worth it, for a quality end result. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:08pm
post #45 of 103
Quote:

I ALWAYS sift ALL dry ingredients. icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:17pm
post #46 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraziboutkakes

Quote:

1 2/3 cups Crisco
6 tablespoons Dream Whip

Thanks mamawrobin for for posting your cream cheese/indydebi buttercream as you know I made some this weekend , I played with indydebis buttercream , I made mine a little diffrent I used more cream cheese but for the first time I feel it turned out well, I will try yours next time I make it.

I have made it with more cream cheese but preferred the way it "behaved" better with less.....if that makes sense. It was just a little less soft and more "stable" with the lesser amount of cream cheese. Plus I'm just not crazy about cream cheese icing and the lesser amount suited me better thumbs_up.gif I have to say that I prefer the taste of the variation with the white chocolate added to the cream cheese. It had a very good flavor with the same "crusting and smoothing" abilities as her original recipe.

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:31pm
post #47 of 103

Wow this is a great topic. Now we have great icing ideas for red velvet and orange dreamsicle cake!

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:32pm
post #48 of 103

Mamawrobin, I love all the advice and directions you give on CC. Since you know what you are doing I have a question to ask. Can you use the cream of cheese icing under fodant? In a previous post several CCrs said you couldn't because something in the cream of cheese breaks down the fondant. I love cream of cheese icing. I did use it under fondant once and had no problems. However, the cake was iced, fondant put over it and served in a short period of time. What is your advice on using cream of cheese under fondant? THANKS!

mamawrobin Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:20pm
post #49 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMillie

Mamawrobin, I love all the advice and directions you give on CC. Since you know what you are doing I have a question to ask. Can you use the cream of cheese icing under fodant? In a previous post several CCrs said you couldn't because something in the cream of cheese breaks down the fondant. I love cream of cheese icing. I did use it under fondant once and had no problems. However, the cake was iced, fondant put over it and served in a short period of time. What is your advice on using cream of cheese under fondant? THANKS!

I think that it would be fine to cover with fondant. It isn't a "soft" icing like most cream cheese icings. I haven't covered a cake with it although I have used fondant cut outs on this icing and they held up fine. I think it would hold up since it's not your basic cream cheese icing and it does crust. I'm working on my son's birthday cake this weekend and one tier is going to be red velvet with this icing. I'm going to cover with fondant as well....so..will be able to tell you for sure if it works or not. I really think that it will work or I wouldn't be attempting it but I certainly wouldn't want to tell you "yes" until I'm certain. I'll post the "verdict" on Saturday evening. thumbs_up.gif

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:24pm
post #50 of 103

THANKS! I will be waiting for the verdict. I hope it works.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:37pm
post #51 of 103

thanks so much, I love my recipe for red velvet but have not yet found the perfect cream cheese icing for it, cannot wait to try it. You guys are the best!

mamawrobin Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:00am
post #52 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by deMuralist

thanks so much, I love my recipe for red velvet but have not yet found the perfect cream cheese icing for it, cannot wait to try it. You guys are the best!

For red velvet I do prefer it with the white chocolate added. It's just so darn good....

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:07pm
post #53 of 103
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OH DEAR I AM SOOO SORRY!!!
I had cut my thumb while making guacamole for hubby last week and wasn't online much icon_sad.gif SORRY I didnt see or reply to this on time...
Yes... Zubia...I will share...
I worked my butt off..literally!!! ate healthy. and again...worked out.My reward...I lost all the extra weight and I got to meet and shoot a video with my favorite trainer...Mari Winsor icon_smile.gif
here is my bloggy...

http://teenbatateen.blogspot.com/
and weightloss blogpost
http://teenbatateen.blogspot.com/2010_02_01_archive.html
the Pilates Infomercial video shoot and trip to CA
http://teenbatateen.blogspot.com/2010/03/adventures-of-khans-in-pilatesland-part.html
this is a 5 part post icon_smile.gif
GOOD LUCK!!! and THANK YOU for all the kind compliments icon_smile.gif
feel free to email me if you have any more questions!
Zubia...this is an Indian name,isn't it?
- h

JanessaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanessaJo Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:03am
post #54 of 103

i want to try this recipe out for my sons bday cake this weekend, but i don't see the answer to "how do you make this less grainy and not crust so fast"

im doing a race car cake and it's going to take some time to frost it right, so should I use this recipe, or one that doesn't crust so fast?

mamawrobin Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:43am
post #55 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanessaJo

i want to try this recipe out for my sons bday cake this weekend, but i don't see the answer to "how do you make this less grainy and not crust so fast"

I've never had any problem with this icing being "grainy" EVER....I do sift all of the powdered sugar and I do heat the half and half (milk) before adding.

As far as it crusting fast...I love that it does crust fast...don't know what you could do about that except maybe add more fat...maybe someone else could help you with that....I've never had any problem with it crusting fast no matter what kind of cake I was maki
ng.

im doing a race car cake and it's going to take some time to frost it right, so should I use this recipe, or one that doesn't crust so fast?

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 2:19am
post #56 of 103

This is great info everyone. Not sure if this has been asked already in another post, but has any substituted the crisco for all butter? If so, how was it? Did it crust properly, taste good, hold up in heat, etc?

TIA

mamawrobin Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:08am
post #57 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqorso

This is great info everyone. Not sure if this has been asked already in another post, but has any substituted the crisco for all butter? If so, how was it? Did it crust properly, taste good, hold up in heat, etc?

TIA

I never have because I need the heat resistance of Crisco. An "all butter" buttercream doesn't work for me because of heat and humidity issues. If you do use all butter you need to reduce the amount of milk that you add. Butter contains more liquid than shortening.
thumbs_up.gif

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:29am
post #58 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyscakes

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OH DEAR I AM SOOO SORRY!!!
I had cut my thumb while making guacamole for hubby last week and wasn't online much icon_sad.gif SORRY I didnt see or reply to this on time...
Yes... Zubia...I will share...
I worked my butt off..literally!!! ate healthy. and again...worked out.My reward...I lost all the extra weight and I got to meet and shoot a video with my favorite trainer...Mari Winsor icon_smile.gif
here is my bloggy...

http://teenbatateen.blogspot.com/
and weightloss blogpost
http://teenbatateen.blogspot.com/2010_02_01_archive.html
the Pilates Infomercial video shoot and trip to CA
http://teenbatateen.blogspot.com/2010/03/adventures-of-khans-in-pilatesland-part.html
this is a 5 part post icon_smile.gif
GOOD LUCK!!! and THANK YOU for all the kind compliments icon_smile.gif
feel free to email me if you have any more questions!
Zubia...this is an Indian name,isn't it?
- h

WOW congrats!! Thats really great~ Cakes are a killer for the waist line huh??? lol Im down 34 pounds so far this year but still have 43... though I do it with the help of my amazing BodyBugg!!

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:34am
post #59 of 103
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqorso

TIA

I never have because I need the heat resistance of Crisco. An "all butter" buttercream doesn't work for me because of heat and humidity issues. If you do use all butter you need to reduce the amount of milk that you add. Butter contains more liquid than shortening.
thumbs_up.gif

Thanks mammawrobin! I didn't think about backing off on the milk. thumbs_up.gif

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:12pm
post #60 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

WOW congrats!! Thats really great~ Cakes are a killer for the waist line huh??? lol Im down 34 pounds so far this year but still have 43... though I do it with the help of my amazing BodyBugg!!

Hey THANKS!!!! yes...and I dont even eat cakes/cookies anymore...not unless they are healthy and Fat free....plus my taste for sugar is gone...i barely use brown sugar or honey icon_smile.gif
I am so proud of you!!! you can totally loose the 43lbs!!!
- H

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%