Homemade Fondant

Decorating By SSLAGHT Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 7:22pm by mamawrobin

SSLAGHT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSLAGHT Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 11

I have tried 3 different fondant recipes at least twice and the fondant seems perfect until I get it on the cake multiple tiny cracks start to appear. I have tried MMF, fondant with gelatin and glycerin, with shortening, without shortening. I have tried same recipe twice to see if it was a fluke but it happens every time. icon_cry.gif
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

10 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 11

I don't know unless you aren't kneading it enough. I use Michele Foster's fondant exclusively. That stuff is the most "user friendly" fondant that I've EVER used. I WILL NOT use any other. thumbs_up.gif

Besides being such a dream to work with it taste amazing. It does require a LOT of kneading the first "initial" kneading.

Did you sift your powdered sugar? When you made the "gelatin/glycerin" fondant did you "strain the liquid" before adding it to the powdered sugar? Did you allow the liquid to "cool to lukewarm"

I have never had any problem with Michele Foster's recipe, even before I had my stand mixer and had to make it by hand. If you haven't tried her recipe I suggest that you do. I have made marshmallow fondant several times and I have NEVER had good results with it. MFF for me ONLY thumbs_up.gif

You said that you've tried several different recipes....which ones have you tried?

SugarHighCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarHighCakery Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 11

Do you use corn starch when rolling out the MMF? I used to use corn starch when rolling it out and ended up with the same cracks you are experiencing. I figured that the corn starch was drying out the fondant too much so I started using powered sugar to dust the counter with. Since the change, I have never had the tiny cracks again.

The recipe that I use for MMF can be found on my blog under the "MM Fondant" tab on the top of the page.

sweet12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet12 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I don't know unless you aren't kneading it enough. I use Michele Foster's fondant exclusively. That stuff is the most "user friendly" fondant that I've EVER used. I WILL NOT use any other. thumbs_up.gif

Besides being such a dream to work with it taste amazing. It does require a LOT of kneading the first "initial" kneading.

Did you sift your powdered sugar? When you made the "gelatin/glycerin" fondant did you "strain the liquid" before adding it to the powdered sugar? Did you allow the liquid to "cool to lukewarm"

I have never had any problem with Michele Foster's recipe, even before I had my stand mixer and had to make it by hand. If you haven't tried her recipe I suggest that you do. I have made marshmallow fondant several times and I have NEVER had good results with it. MFF for me ONLY thumbs_up.gif

You said that you've tried several different recipes....which ones have you tried?

Where would i find Michele Fosters Fondant? I use the Wiltons and i really dont like it much. I am shopping for a better, easier to use product. Thanks in advance.

SSLAGHT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSLAGHT Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 11

Yes, I do use cornstarch to roll it out, I will try powdered sugar.

I will try Michele Foster's recipe. Thankyou both

mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLAGHT

Ironically...using cornstarch works best when rolling out Michele's recipe. icon_lol.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLAGHT

Ironically...using cornstarch works best when rolling out Michele's recipe. icon_lol.gif

Couldn't agree more with the suggestion to use Michele's fondant! After a little experimenting in the very beginning, I stumbled across her recipe, and have used nothing else since. I ADORE it, and mamawrobin's assessment of it being "user friendly" is right on the money! Now, I never use conrstarch, I just use powdered sugar ... matter of convenience for me, but it works perfectly for me. SUCH a pliable and forgiving fondant!! But for sure, DO let it sit overnight after initial kneading to get the right consistency.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 11

I use nothing but Michele's too! Very easy to work with, make, color, EVERYTHING! Everyone who tastes it thinks it's too good to be fondant because they know about all the other chemically stuff! I make white chocolate, reg chocolate, lemon, even coconut! Look for it in recipes on here!

mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK1973

I use nothing but Michele's too! Very easy to work with, make, color, EVERYTHING! Everyone who tastes it thinks it's too good to be fondant because they know about all the other chemically stuff! I make white chocolate, reg chocolate, lemon, even coconut! Look for it in recipes on here!

I make the white chocolate version 99% of the time but it's ALL good thumbs_up.gif

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 11

Hello Ladies,
I am going to make my first attempt at homemade fondant in the next week or so, and had planned on making MMF until today when I keep reading about Michele's fondant recipe. Sounds like it must be better. To those of you who make the white chocolate version...how much does the white chocolate change the color?

mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:22pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisviz

Hello Ladies,
I am going to make my first attempt at homemade fondant in the next week or so, and had planned on making MMF until today when I keep reading about Michele's fondant recipe. Sounds like it must be better. To those of you who make the white chocolate version...how much does the white chocolate change the color?

Not really all that much. I use Baker's white chocolate baking squares. I did use the Hershey's Premier White chips once and it tasted funny...probably because there is absolutely no cocoa butter in them icon_lol.gif
I didn't even realize it until after I'd used them. Oh well, we ate it anyway it just wasn't as good as the Baker's. The zebra cake in my photos is made with the white chocolate MFF as well as the blue and white cake. You can tell that it doesn't change the color all that much.

Be sure to strain your gelatin/syrup mixture thru cheesecloth and to sift your powdered sugar for the absolute best results with this recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%