Lactose Intolerant--Help!!

Baking By myluvkris Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 9:45pm by bonniebakes

myluvkris Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 3

Hey All,

I'm doing a wedding cake for my best friend who is lactose intolerant. This will be the first wedding cake DH and I have made. Now the problem: I always use the Super Enhanced cake mix recipe on here (, but like I said she's lactose intolerant. I'm willing to use melted butter, but I cannot add the Heavy Cream and Sour Cream.

Do you have any suggestions? I'm doing a small practice cake to test out the flavor this week and her wedding is July 10th, so I have a little bit of time.

2 replies
au_decorator_76 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 3

Did she specifically say "be careful I can't have cream or sour cream"? Because there are different degrees of this, I am L.I. and I can eat this cake with no problems but can't drink regular milk. Plus there is so little in there it may not bother some where some people can't even be NEAR cream or milk.

I'm just curious. icon_smile.gif

bonniebakes Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 3

You can replace the heavy cream with soy milk, almond milk, or rice milk... it IS lighter, but there are also non-dairy creamers that you can use in place of the heavy cream that will work just fine.

As for the sour cream, I always use a non-dairy sour cream (for lactose and dairy reasons). Tofutti makes a great one (and a cream cheese, by the way) - substitute it for whatever sour cream is called for in the recipe. I have used them in a lot of recipes - savory and sweet - and have never noticed a difference in the finished product.

Quote by @%username% on %date%