Duff's White Fondant....not White!!!!

Decorating By LittleKaren Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 11:41pm by catlharper

LittleKaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleKaren Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,

I did a wedding cake for yesterday and decided to try out Duff's brand of fondant. So off I went to Michael's with my 50% off coupons and picked it all up. Was decorating the cake on friday night, pulled out the fondant....and I really liked it. Good taste, easy to work with, just one problem.....it wasn't white. I rechecked the tubs just to make sure I had picked up the white and I had......but it was ivory. I used it anyways, as I knew the bride was very easy going, but I even had to tint my buttercream for scroll work to an ivory tinge. I am going to contact the company. It wasn't a huge big deal but I did have to do an emergency run out in the morning for ivory colored roses as the white looked hideous next to the ivory.....so just be forewarned.....

3 replies
Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 4

I noticed it too. I really didn't like it at all. I'm sticking with my Satin Ice. It took FOREVER for flowers and butterflies to dry even after I mixed in tylose.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 4

The ingredient list on Duff's fondant (Fondarific) shows that some of it's components are very similar to candy melts--lots more fat than regular fondant. This explains why is hard out of the bucket and why it doesn't get hard when put on a cake.

Tylose won't work the same way, or at all, with that much fat.

I definitely DON'T recommend relying on it for ANYTHING that you need to dry hard.

Rae

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 4

MMF isn't a true white either so I add in white coloring...you can find it at Michaels. Use it just like gell color and knead it into the fondant. It will brighten it right up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%