Tiered Cake Question... What Am I Doing Wrong??

Decorating By dshlent Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 8:37pm by dshlent

dshlent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dshlent Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 18

What am I doing wrong..... When I put on the top tiers on a cake they always crack all over as soon as I take the cake off the board and put on the SPS system.... Do I need thicker cardboard under the cake so it has more support as I move it from the counter to the top of the cake??? What can I do so my tiered cakes don't have these terrible cracks everywhere. The bottom tier looks great and then the top tiers look awful with all the cracks in the icing....

Thank you for your help!!!

~Heather

17 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 18

Definitely sounds like you need stronger support under your upper tiers. Try doubling up your cardboards or use foamboard.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshlent

When I put on the top tiers on a cake they always crack all over as soon as I take the cake off the board and put on the SPS system.

Don't take the cake off the board.

DianeLM Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

When I put on the top tiers on a cake they always crack all over as soon as I take the cake off the board and put on the SPS system.

Oh my gosh --- I didn't even catch that. I thought she meant taking the cake, which is on it's own board, off the work surface. icon_eek.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 18

Definitely leave the cake on the board! The cake with the cake board under it goes onto the SPS plate.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

Oh my gosh --- I didn't even catch that. I thought she meant taking the cake, which is on it's own board, off the work surface. icon_eek.gif

That was my line of thinking, too. Either you are not using a board under each tier, or your are not leveling your tiers.

Sandy

Kathy555 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy555 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 18

I always use foam board when I am doing larger cakes. It is so much more secure, so try that.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:

What am I doing wrong..... When I put on the top tiers on a cake they always crack all over as soon as I take the cake off the board

WHY are you taking the "cake off the board"? THIS is your problem. You don't need a "stronger" cake circle...the little cardboard cake circle works fine BUT you have to leave your cake ON it when you place it on the SPS.

That's what you're "doing wrong".

and put on the SPS system....

Do I need thicker cardboard under the cake so it has more support as I move it from the counter to the top of the cake???

NO....the thin one is designed for this..just don't take it off the cake

What can I do so my tiered cakes don't have these terrible cracks everywhere. The bottom tier looks great and then the top tiers look awful with all the cracks in the icing....
You're not taking the other cakes off their support boards...that's why they "look great".

Thank you for your help!!!

~Heather

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 18

ditto.

Did you really read the tutorial?

::taps foot::

dshlent Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:57pm
post #10 of 18

YES!!!!! I leave the cake on the cardboard... What I was meaning was when I took it off the larger board I use to ice the cake.. But I do keep it on the cardboard that has the hole poked for the SPS plate....

dshlent Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:00pm
post #11 of 18

Yes.... I've read the tutorial MANY times..... didn't want to make any mistakes.... icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:15pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:

YES!!!!! I leave the cake on the cardboard... What I was meaning was when I took it off the larger board I use to ice the cake.. But I do keep it on the cardboard that has the hole poked for the SPS plate....

Then I'm at a loss. I place all of my tiers on one little cardboard circle whether they are 6" or 10" and I have NEVER had one to crack. When I go to move my cakes, I slide my spatula under the cake circle and then place my hand under it so the "weight" of the cake is always distributed evenly on the cake circle. How are you "moving" your cake off the cakeboard?? I'm just confused as to why this would be happening if you're leaving the cake on the cardboard circle. A smaller cake is supported just fine with a board that size and shouldn't be "cracking". icon_confused.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:18pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

....I slide my spatula under the cake circle and then place my hand under it so the "weight" of the cake is always distributed evenly on the cake circle. How are you "moving" your cake off the cakeboard??

If you're holding the cardboards by the sides, instead of your hand under the center of the cake, this could cause the problem.

Had to train my hubby early on that when he's helping me, he is to NEVER try to pick up a cake by holding the sides of the board unless he wanted to see the words "FIRED BY WIFE!!" on his resume! icon_twisted.gif

dshlent Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:26pm
post #14 of 18

Yes... I do pick them up on the sides.... Opps... I don't on my sheet cakes because I knew that causes problems but not sure how to get the cake on the SPS system without holding onto the cake on the sides??? I feel like if my hands are under the middle of the cake I'm not sure how to get in on the cake plate... Like my hands are in the way if you want to say??

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:29pm
post #15 of 18

Use your spatula to help set the cake in place, if you're having this problem. I can get my hand under the cake just fine on the smaller ones.

Here's some pics on how I do it with a spatula: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6849089#6849089

DianeLM Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:39pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:

Okay, so I'm NOT crazy. At least not at this particular moment. icon_smile.gif

While you're practicing and learning how to lift and place the tier properly (even distribution and all that), I suggest you use foamboard instead of cardboard during your learning curve. It's stronger than cardboard and won't flex as easily. It is not, however, a substitute for learning the correct technique! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 8:35pm
post #17 of 18

hmmmm . . . I've had variations on this question a couple of times this week.

When placing the cake tier, on the cardboard onto the SPS plate, your hand should be dead center under the cardboard, fingers spread wide to put support under as much as possible. (I do this, with ONE cardboard on 14" cake tiers.)

TIP the cake onto the SPS plate so that the back edge of the cake is close to the back edge of the plate. (Back edge is the edge farthest from you.)

While holding the cake with one hand (left for me) slide an offset spatula under the cardboard with your right hand. Pull out your left hand and lower the cake into place with it resting on the spatula. Adjust the tier onto the SPS plate with the spatula. (The sliiiide part in the tutorial.)

Yes, there will be icing on your left hand from where the cake cardboard was icing'd to the support cardboard. I always carry a roll of paper towels.

dshlent Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 8:37pm
post #18 of 18

Ok.... Now I'm excited that I think that will solve my problem!!!! Thank you all.... Indydebi... thank you for the link. It was very informative.. You guys are great...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%