Rkt Arm Fell Off :'(

Decorating By mandirombold Updated 26 Jun 2010 , 10:49pm by PiccoloChellie

mandirombold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandirombold Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 4

A cousins sister in law just called and the cake I made for their party today had RKT arms covered in royal icing. Well 1 arm is melting off the dowel. I told her when she left to KEEP it cool! It is 90 degrees today and way humid!!! well she said she had it in the fridge, out of the fridge, in and out. No airconditioning in the car or house! Now no arm! What can I do, I want to cry!

3 replies
PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 4

So you told her to keep it cool.

She's taking it in and out of the fridge, transporting and storing it in an unairconditioned location in high heat and humidity....completely ignoring your instructions.

Right?

You don't need to do a dang thing.

If you buy a $500 dress that is clearly labeled **dry clean only** and you run it through your wash cycle and the dress is damaged, is that the dressmaker's fault? Are they expected to come to your house and fix up your dress for you, or give you a free one?

So why would you be expected to do anything, and why do you feel like you want to cry?

mandirombold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandirombold Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 4

I just feel bad because my cousin is calling wanting to know how to fix, I should not make cake for family friends anymore. I already gave her a good price. I just think in and out of the fridge was to much for it. I mean I hate to say you spent money on a cake u have to keep on the fridge but it is very hot today I told her to becareful or elmo would melt. and well he did!

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandirombold

I just feel bad because my cousin is calling wanting to know how to fix, I should not make cake for family friends anymore. I already gave her a good price. I just think in and out of the fridge was to much for it. I mean I hate to say you spent money on a cake u have to keep on the fridge but it is very hot today I told her to becareful or elmo would melt. and well he did!

I meant that in the nicest possible way. Elmo's arm melting off isn't your fault.
If she wants to know how to fix it, tell her to try and pat the RI and RKT around the dowel and KEEP THE CAKE AND THE ARM IN THE #$)@ING FRIDGE until it's time to eat the cake or risk the rest of the cake melting as well.

I know you don't want to be harsh to your cousin, but since she's the "point person" here, you've got to be upfront with her. You gave specific instructions to keep the cake cool, the instructions were ignored, and because of that the cake was damaged. Tell her how she might be able to repair some of the damage, but don't feel bad about it.

Family or not, this is business. You sold her a cake and gave proper handling instructions. You can't just pull another Elmo arm out of your butt to make things better!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%