Swiss Cheese Cake-Help!

Baking By carmijok Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 1:34pm by LindaF144a

carmijok Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 4

No this isn't a recipe..it's a cry for help! I baked a 10" round with my usual doctored cake mix recipe...used the paddle attachment not the wisk, timed my mixing in the usual way, pounded it on the counter to 'get the bubbles out', baked it and it looked awesome. That is, until I took a knife and cut the excess off to level it and saw what looked like Swiss cheese! Now I've gotten a few air pockets in my cakes before but NEVER anything like I got yesterday! These were tunnels! And so many! And where there weren't tunnels, there were holes! There can be no calories in this cake because there is hardly any cake! I don't want to bake another until I find out what could have gone wrong in this one. The ONLY difference in this cake and others I've made was that I don't usually use a 10" pan and the one I have is dark so I lowered the temp to 325 instead of 350 and cooked it a bit longer. Could this have done it? The only additive in my cake mix is Cream Bouquet. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

3 replies
myslady Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 4

Possible reasons this happened:

- batter over mixed

- wrong type of flour or too much

- too little baking powder/soda or sugar

- oven temperature too hot

KathysCC Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:28am
post #3 of 4
LindaF144a Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 4

Yes your pan could have done it. I wished I paid more attention to the Alton Brown show that aired again recently on yellow cake. He did a funny demonstration to show what happens when you use different kinds of pans. The worse one in his opinion was a dark pan like you describe. I can't remember what he said will happen when you use it. But basically he said the pan will make a difference.

I just found a Youtube of the show

But basically he doesn't say you get a swiss cheese effect from this kind of pan. Possibly you shouldn't "bang it out"? You might have created pockets of air that instead of getting to the surface, just expanded and broke. I don't bang my pans to get oout the air, but I have no experience with doctored cake mixes. Even with undoctored cake mixes I don't bang them out. I did it once and got a terrible cake, so I no longer do it. And possibly with the type of mixer we have, we don't need to. Maybe air into batter is more prevalent with hand mixers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%