Sticking To Liners

Baking By sjbeatty8 Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 1:52am by Melvira

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 24

I have been trying some from scratch recipes and every time my cake sticks to the liners... Anyone know what is happening????

23 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 24

I have had that happen with cake mixes too. My solution that has worked wonders is to quickly spray a non stick baking spray over the liners after I put them in the pan but before I put the batter in. Works like a charm. Haven't had a stuck cupcake since with either scratch or cake mixes.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 24

I lightly spray "Pam" regular spray onto the bottom of the pan, then place the parchment liner, then when ready to fill I spray a baking spray with flour onto the liner and the sides. Never had one stick yet.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Pam

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 24

I am confused. Do you mean when you pull the paper away, the cake comes with it? What is your recipe?

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

I am confused. Do you mean when you pull the paper away, the cake comes with it?

I'm wondering the same thing. What is the point of using liners if you still have to spray and grease/flour, etc.? I just use cooking spray and run a knife around the edge before de-panning and never have a problem. I used to do the liners in the pan, but realized it was a lot of extra work to cut them out and they didn't do anything the spray wasn't doing. JMHO, not to be argumentative!! thumbs_up.gif

Lisa9002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa9002 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 24

I had this happen a couple of times and it was due to the butter/margarine I used in the cupcake batter. If the butter is not really softened at room temp, it will be lumpy in the batter and somehow it does this to the cupcake. I've not had the problem since I make sure that it's at room temp. I had tried a different brand of stick margarine in them when they stuck and I just went back to using the one I usually used. The one that did that seemed to be more stiffer and even after sitting at room temp didn't work as well. I've never sprayed the liners but have thought about it. Wouldn't hurt.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 24

I'm still confused as to how the cake sticks. It's supposed to stick, unless you mean when you peel off the paper the cake comes with it.

And Lisa9002 - your explanation is why they say to never use margarine, use butter instead. Actually there are recipes that do call for margarine, but I'm not to sure if they are tried and true tested recipes or if whoever posted it uses the word margarine interchangeably for a variety of different spreads. I know my family did that when I was little, and then I found out about this stuff called butter......

Melvira Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 24

Cake made with margarine?? I have honestly never heard of that!!

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 12:32pm
post #9 of 24

I've been making cupcakes along time now, and my liners peel right off when you want to eat the cupcakes...

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 24

I'm having the same problem.....I'm using silver cupcake papers and when I try to peel the wrapper off, the cake is sticking to it. it's making a really big mess.....the inside of the papers aren't waxed. I was wondering if I should put a regular wrapper on the inside of the silver one~just so when it's time to eat they can be unwrapped??

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 24

It's more likely a defect in the type of liner you are using. Most of the foil liners come with a paper inner liner. If you liner is unwaxed it is probably the cause of the sticking.

tonimarie Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:25pm
post #12 of 24

I just did a test batch with my silver liners..
one cupcake I lightly sprayed with pam...that cupcake still stuck, though not as badly
the next liner I sprayed fairly heavy...that cupcake liner peeled right off
the next liner I put a regular liner (you know the pastel colored ones from the grocery store) inside of the silver liner....the cupcake still stuck.
----I've never had trouble with cupcakes before.....so maybe it's the humidity of just a bad day, don't really know, but still have about 125 cupcakes to bake, sooooooo I've decided that pam is my answer icon_rolleyes.gif

Melvira Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:33pm
post #13 of 24

That is REALLY strange! I've had them stick before just when the cake/muffin was still too warm and I was totally impatient, but never once they cooled off. I'm really sorry you're going through that. I hope the Pam does the trick!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:46pm
post #14 of 24

I'm confused: Are we talking about cake sticking to the parchment liner in the pan; or cupcakes sticking to the cupcake liner when you try to eat it? Seems like this thread is going in both directions, and it doesn't take too much to lose me.

Melvira Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:49pm
post #15 of 24

Haha! At this particular second we are speaking of cupcakes, but I don't remember what ALL we were talking about previously! icon_rolleyes.gif I can get lost easily too!

cutthecake Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:53pm
post #16 of 24

OP said "cake"; second poster said "cupcake"; and we were off to the races!

Melvira Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:57pm
post #17 of 24

I know! And just when you think you know what's going on, you'll find out you were completely wrong! Or is that just me? icon_confused.gif

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:58pm
post #18 of 24

Forgive me but isn't the cake supposed to stick to the liner? I guess if when you peel off the liner huge chunks of cake come off it then you have a problem but its supposed to stick. Now if your liner sticks to your pan you really have issues.

Melvira, I only bake with margarine. Not the soft table spread like you would slap on toast but baking margarine. It's not as odd as you might imagine.

tonimarie Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:37am
post #19 of 24

okay so idiot award for the day goes to ME icon_redface.gif when I read the original post I thought it was about cupcakes, so didn't mean to hyjack the thread and turn it to cupcakes. I also win the award because I just tried another of my original cupcakes, and the wrapper pulled right off sooooo just so anyone else that is cupcake illiterate like myself knows.....one they cool the liner some right off icon_redface.gif

Melvira Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:58am
post #20 of 24

Oh, tonimarie, now we must mock you until you wither up from the embarassment! Just teasing!! Hey, you may have just saved someone some grief! thumbs_up.gif

tonimarie Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:22am
post #21 of 24

heehee thanks melvira...I actually laughed at myself when I figured it out, but I told my DH that I spent at least an hour cruising CC looking for a solution to my "problem" icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:32am
post #22 of 24

I wish CC COULD solve impatience. I have almost infinite patience with my children, but for everything else, I can get a little trigger happy, ya knwo? icon_redface.gif

cutthecake Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:39am
post #23 of 24

Triggers....are we talking about guns now? What happened to cakes? Or was it cupcakes? I'm so confused!

Melvira Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:52am
post #24 of 24

icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%