Giant Air Bubble!!!

Decorating By mjnj Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 4:32am by SunshineSally

mjnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjnj Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 5

I need some help--last night I iced and covered a 6" round in Wilton fondant. It looked perfect but today when I went to box it there was a giant air bubble on the side! I poked it with a pin and tried to let the air out but the fondant seems to have stretched into the wrong shape. Anyone know how to fix this?!?!?

4 replies
SugarHighCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarHighCakery Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 5

I have had close to ZERO experience with Wilton's Fondant. I make my own MMF. When I get an air bubble, usually a toothpick will do the trick. If was a big air bubble then the fondant will "sag" once the air is released...I am a perfectionist so when this happens I pull off the fondant and recover.

Thankfully its just a 6 inch...that is a fast redo!

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 5

If it's a big air bubbly I would also suggest redoing it... Good luck! I hope you are able to figure something out!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 5

this usually happens when fondant is placed on a cake that is still too cold. I watch my cakes like a hawk for the first two hours after covering looking for any bubbles that might be developing. If you catch them early you can pop and smooth without too much problem. But once it's had time to grow big enough to mis shape the cake then you might be better to redo the fondant. It will make a mess to pop and smooth now but if you don't have a choice then maybe a nice big flower can go there? LOL!

Sorry you are having to deal with this!

Cat

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:32am
post #5 of 5

I've had this to happen also and I have no idea WHY, but, I had no choice but to pull the fondant off and re-cover it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%