Middle Eastern Cake Filling/flavor Combo

Decorating By kger Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 1:43am by Kitagrl

kger Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a going-away cake for someone who is going to Palestine for 2 months. I've been trying to think of a middle eastern-ish filling/flavor combo, and the only thing I can think of is something with dates or figs. Google turned up using fig marmalade as a filling, but I have never come across anything like that. Anyone have any recommendations or ideas how one would acquire fig marmalade? Do cake supply shops carry anything you would use for a Middle East themed cake? It will be fondant, btw.

4 replies
Toptier Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 12:34am
post #2 of 5

Hmm not sure on where to acquire Fig marmalade. Have you tried googling a recipe, it may not be hard to make. What about a pistachio-cardamom cake?

tesso Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:00am
post #3 of 5

I would suggest a coffee mocha, but very strong flavored.

IT would be very easy to make a fig marmalde.

1 box of sure gel
4 cups cooked fig
5 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice.

IF you buy the sure gel, the instructions are inside. you would look for the orange marmalde, cooked jam instructions. The 1/4 cup lemon juice is from the plum marmalde instruction, but would definately need it with fig.

*****just so you know.. any marmalde takes aproximately TWO WEEKS to set.. so that it is usable as a filling *****

I can strawberry, black cherry, blueberry, orange marmalde, and raspberry for cake fillings. you may get hooked. icon_biggrin.gif

matthewkyrankelly Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:26am
post #4 of 5

Look up baklava and basbousa. Both will give you ideas. I'm just thinking nuts, esp. pistachios, dates and figs, honey and syrup soaked cakes, whipped cream etc.

Kitagrl Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:43am
post #5 of 5

I just looked up "Palestinian cake recipe" on google and lotsa stuff comes up...there's a middle eastern coconut cake...some kind of almond cake...and a bunch of other stuff I didn't click on the links to see what it was.

Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%