Rolled Fondant Vs Mmf

Decorating By joaaaann Updated 26 Jun 2010 , 4:10pm by joaaaann

joaaaann Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 7

I have only used MMF in the past but am wondering about how the rolled fondant compares. As far as I know, it's primarily that MMF is shiny and RF isn't...what's the pro's for using rolled fondant compared to MMF? ... Is the MMF actually a better choice?

6 replies
dsilvest Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 7

I make both rolled and MMf. I find the MMF is creamier in colour and the rolled is whiter. I don't find that my MMF is shiny. I guess it is because I rub PS on the fondant once it is on the cake to help smooth and fill in any imperfectiuons. Both kinds work about the same for me.

joaaaann Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 7

What about elasticity?

dsilvest Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 7

Both are great. The addition of glycerine helps with elasticity.

joaaaann Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 7

Ok, so lets say it sets out and 'rests' then is too hard to roll out right away...would I nuke it for a few seconds, or add the glycerin (or corn syrup) to make it more pliable?

dsilvest Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 7

When you make it reserve some of the PS until after the rest period. If it is a bit sticky knead in some shortening, if it is really sticky add more of the reserved PS. I add the glycerine to both types of fondant when I am making them. Corn syrup is more similar to glucose. If the fondant is stiff I will nuke it for 10 - 30 seconds depending on the size of the piece that I need.

joaaaann Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 7

O..I was thinking 'glucose' rather than glycerin when I wrote 'corn syrup'. My brain is racked haha. I haven't worked with glycerine actually. But I am using a rolled fondant recipe with pasteurized egg whites and tylose and corn syrup. No shortening in the recipe so I'm confused about ading shortening to it to soften it

Quote by @%username% on %date%