Baby's 1St Birthday

Decorating By PJ0207 Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 7:13am by mamawrobin

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:47pm
post #31 of 34

Usually, people just use the batter from the big cake. A cake mix might work for you. I know pillsbury has a reduced something mix. I can't remember what, sorry.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:53pm
post #32 of 34

for my kids I just made a smaller version of the larger cake...

My dh and his family are very prim and proper (German heritage) and kind of straight laced. My family is a little bohemian (Italian and Croatian) and of course we have always had some version of a smash cake, even if it was just a cupcake. Well when I did it for our first child he was flabbergasted! His parents were there and I have photos of the 3 of them just watching with looks of astonishment on their faces. When our second turned one, dh asked if we were going to have to do the whole "let the kid make a mess cake" to which I said of course! then OMG did the little one make a mess, once he realized he was not going to get into trouble he went crazy and icing ended up on the walls and even a spot on the ceiling. Dh told me he was glad we were done with that tradition!

Choco68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Choco68 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:55pm
post #33 of 34

A friend gave me a recipe of a banana cake using applesauce - it came out eeks! I'm going to try another recipe and if it works - i'll post it here - but thanks Yummy will check out Pilsbury icon_smile.gif Thanks a lot icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:13am
post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choco68

A friend gave me a recipe of a banana cake using applesauce - it came out eeks! I'm going to try another recipe and if it works - i'll post it here - but thanks Yummy will check out Pilsbury icon_smile.gif Thanks a lot icon_smile.gif

yummy's right...Pillsbury does make a "reduced something" cake...I thought it was reduced fat...but I'm probably incorrect because I don't use PB mix...anyway the applesauce will replace the oil but as far as sugar goes...don't have anything to make it "less sweet"....if they don't actually eat anymore of their cake than my granddaughter did it won't hurt them anyway. Total I'm betting she didn't eat more than a tablespoon of the icing . If they aren't use to getting sugar though they may eat the whole thing icon_lol.gif Just kidding....anyway you could use a whipped icing like the cool whip type icings...that would probably be "less sweet". for the smash cakes anyway.. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%