Buttercream Or Fondant For Ball Cake?

Decorating By lilaria Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 3:16pm by Jamielc

lilaria Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!
Please bear with me I am a newbie!

I am making a baseball cake for my son's 3rd bday in August. I would like it to be nice and smooth so was figuring fondant is the best way to go. But I am concerned about being able to cover the ball (never worked with fondant yet) and wondering if the august heat and humidity will also have any effects on the final result.

Would buttercream stand up better to the weather? The past 2 years have been hot, humid and rainy, so this year will most likely be the same.

If I go the fondant route is the Wilson fondant tasty or can someone recommend a yummy one?

Thank you for any words of wisdom you can share. Have a great day!

5 replies
KHalstead Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 6

If you've never covered a cake in fondant, a ball is probably not where you'll want to start.

You could 'practice' ahead of time if you wanted to...on a big styrofoam ball you can get at the craft store, then if it doesn't work...rip it off, knead it, and try try again!!

If you want to go the buttercream route, I hear that Indydebi's (a user here) buttercream stands up VERY well to the heat and humidity, and it crusts over...so you could get some viva papertowels and smooth the cake once it's crusted!!

Welcome to CC

Here is indydebi's recipe:

Here is the technique using the paper towel:

Cindy619 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 6

I'm not sure exactly what type of baseball cake you are looking to do (for example, is the whole cake the shape of a ball or is it more like half a ball on top of a regular cake). In any case, if the whole cake is the shape of a ball, that might be a little tricky to cover in fondant if its your first experience with fondant. A good buttercream recipe would hold up no problem.

Regarding taste, I'm sure most people would agree that the taste of Wilton's fondant is not good - if you use it, I would just tell your guests that its okay if they peel it off icon_smile.gif There are some really good Marshmallow Fondant recipes out there - just check the recipe section and you'll find them. Hope this helps!

lilaria Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you for the advice. I am going to do a practice cake tomorrow. Wish me luck!

leah_s Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 6

Actually there have been a number of reports lately that W's fondant is now tasty.

Jamielc Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 6
Originally Posted by leah_s

Actually there have been a number of reports lately that W's fondant is now tasty.

I beg to disagree, leah_s ... I don't know what Wilton fondant used to taste like but I find it to be less than appealing. I'll use it to make decorations or figures or whatnot, but I prefer my homemade MMF to cover a cake with. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%