Help Needed Now!! No Leak Strawberry Filling

Baking By three4thequeen Updated 26 Jun 2010 , 12:09pm by three4thequeen

three4thequeen Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:06am
post #1 of 9

I've got an order for a cake that's due this morning (it's 3AM here!). They want fresh strawberry filling. I've tried a few recipes, but all are seeping into the cake and leaking out of my dams.

I'm covering the cake with fondant so I can't/shouldn't refrigerate it.

I've tried pie filling mixed with gelatin. No go

I've tried jam mixed with strawberry jello. No go

I think it's the humidity that's not allowing things to set up.

Please, please save me. What should I do?? They want fresh and not creamy filling.

I am at a loss.

8 replies
JanH Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:11am
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by three4thequeen

I'm covering the cake with fondant so I can't/shouldn't refrigerate it.

Fondant can be successfully refrigerated.

The trick is not to touch any spots of condensation as that will leave water marks. Allowing the spots to dry naturally (or with the assistance of a fan) will not leave water marks.

What are you using for your frosting dam... Sounds like it's not thick enough or big enough to hold in the filling.

And how much filling are you using..

Here's a sleeved pastry filling usage chart by cake sizes:
(So you can compare how much they recommend and you actually used.)

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/ckideas/ckidea.aspx?Occ1Id=&ideaId=168&idea=494&occasion=General%20Cake%20Instructions

HTH

three4thequeen Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:15am
post #3 of 9

Even if I put other pieces of fondant on top of the base fondant? Like a black chalkboard on top of light blue? I'm so afraid the colors will bleed.

I still need to find a strawberry filling that won't ooozz out of my dam.

yummy Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:16am
post #4 of 9

Try adding cornstarch. Stiff bc dam around cake edge (should be stiff enough where you can roll it in your hands without sticking). I always put a thin layer of bc down first then the fruit filling on top. Fruit filling should be below the top of the bc dam.

annabanana183 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:45am
post #5 of 9

I use crusting BC for my dams, are you letting it set in a bowl and then scooping it in the cake , I know thats a silly question, but I was just wondering as gelatin should have stopped the filling from begin absorbed in the cake.
Also I refrigerate me cakes most of the time, the cakes sweet when you take them out of the refrigerator, So I always tell people that its need to be kept in the refrigerator until they are ready to cut and serve it.
Hope ur cakes turns out great..

three4thequeen Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:53am
post #6 of 9

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will try everything. I thought my dam was thick enough, but I am going to stiffen it up.

Yep, left in a bowl to set and then scooped it in the cake. I put buttercream down to keep it from seeping and thought the gelatin would be thick enough not to soak the cake. It didn't work out well.

I'll try everything you all suggested!

Thanks, I think this is the first time I've had a cake melt in my hands....not good when it's 3AM!!

annabanana183 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:58am
post #7 of 9

I have been there so many times myself icon_smile.gif good luck and post a pic of the finished cake.

emjay83 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 8:47am
post #8 of 9

I found this recipe on CC, and have used it several times with great success: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7612/chunky-strawberry-filling (if the link didn't work, just go to the recipes section and search for "chunky strawberry filling." Should pull up.) Best of luck to you!

three4thequeen Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:09pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you everyone. Thanks emjay83, I tried it and it never got clear, which is so odd.

I used Strawberry preserves, melted it, added strawberry jello and then sliced fresh strawberries. I made a dam that was a lot like fondant, or pretty close. Then I put on a scratch coat. So far, no bleeding or seeping. Now I have to add the fondant and then I can breath easy!!!

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%