Food Allergies And Cake?

Lounge By cakedivamommy Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 4:00pm by veghed

cakedivamommy Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:07am
post #1 of 11

YDS is 7 months old and was diagnosed recently with severe milk (including casein) and soy allergies. He has been vomiting/weird stools basically since birth and have been getting worse. I brought this to the attention of our old Pedi's office and was brushed off by his symptoms including a rash. They said it was sensitivites to baby soap so we tried every kind on the market before going to a special soap. His vomiting they told us was reflux and he was put on Zantac which did nothing for him so I stopped giving it to him. Looking back now I WISH I had put my foot down and made them do more.

We changed pedi's for his 6mth appt and LOVE the new practice. I called with a concern and they immediately saw him and sent him to an allergist. Thank goodness I finally stood up for my son to figure out what was going on.

I am just kicking myself in the butt and cant get over hating myself for making him suffer for so long. He had so much microscopic blood in his stool the Dr. was shocked. I have so much anger and guilt inside of me I just dont know what to do. I have been destroying his little body and not even realizing it.

In this crash diet of sorts I have lost 18 pounds icon_eek.gif in 2 weeks. I am doing wonderfully at home but eating out is a nightmare! I am on a quest to find a good (will settle with decent/edible) recipe for a dairy/soy free cake and icing. My birthday is next Sunday, and yes I could do without, DH and my oldest son want me to have a cake that I can actually eat.

Thanks for listening to my sob story and hopefully someone out there has a good recipe!

10 replies
bonniebakes Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 11

awww... sorry about your little guy!

I make all of my recipes for everything dairy free by using rice milk instead of whatever milk is called for in the recipe. I do this because my husband is lactose intolerant and can't have soy, and I have a milk allergy. Rice milk work just fine instead of regular milk!

KHalstead Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 11

don't feel guilty, you DID the right thing!! The old pedi is the one that should be harboring guilt!

I always tell people, if you doctor/kids doctors thinks you're crazy........change doctors.

My DD was 2 weeks old and was born a month premature (because I had toxemia) and she was breathing funny. I called her doctor and said" she's breathing funny" they said, "is she breathing?" I said "yes, but not like she normally does, I can't explain it...it's just different" without hesitation they said "don't bring her here, take her to the ER NOW!"

I went to the ER and the triage nurse listened to her lungs and her heart and said "she's fine, go home mom" I said "no....she's not breathing right!" They said "she sounds fine, there is nothing wrong with her lungs...she may have just had hiccups or something" I said "no.....she is my 3rd child and I know what hiccups look like, and she's not breathing right" They said " she's 2 weeks old, how can you possibly know what NORMAL for her is???" I said "because I'm her mother, and I know her, and something's not right!"

I refused to leave the hospital, told them they would have to get security if they wanted me to leave before a doctor saw her!

AFter waiting for 3 hrs. in the ER waiting room, they finally brought in a doctor.....he hooked her up to a pulsox (sp?) machine to check how much oxygen you're getting, it's suppose to read around 95-100 for a healthy person........hers was 72!! The doc said normally they intebate (put a tube into their neck) when it gets below 80 on patients!!!!

They determined she had bronchiolitis and wasn't receiving very much oxygen and if left for 24 hrs. the way she was the doctor said she would have wound up having a seizure and could have died and at best would have had severe brain damage!!

My DD is now 6 yrs. old and perfectly healthy......she was in the hospital for a full week recovering from this and has NEVER had anything major happen to her since thank GOD!

Never second guess your instincts as a mother, you know your child better than anyone!

I'm glad that you took the necessary steps to find out what was going on with your little guy!

cakesbycathy Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 11

Ok first stop beating yourself up. We all make decisions as parents we wish we could go back and change. Accept the fact that you are addressing the situation now. Then write a letter to the old pediatrician to tell him off. Trust me you will feel much better and it can be a wake up call for them.

Next, my nephew is also allergic to dairy and soy and so far at almost 2 has not outgrown it yet. Go get the book Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. It has recipes you will be able to use. You can substitute rice milk for soy milk and also use either Blue Bonnet Light margarine or Fleishman's Light margarine for butter.

LindaF144a Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 11

I just made some vegan cupcakes and they were delish! They did have coconut milk in them. I'm not too sure how this is with the allergies, you would have to check. Also there is a soy free spread out there put out by Earth Balance and it is delish too. I basically try to avoid soy as much as possibly because too much is not good for you. And there a lot of products out there with soy in them - A lot! Read labels from now on.

And as for the guilt, you can let that go now. You are a Mom, instead - get tough. And fight for what you know is right. It will help you get over that guilt. When us Moms get tough, there is nothing that will stop us!

Good luck.

tigerhawk83 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 11

Allrecipes.com has a number of egg-free dairy-free cakes - but I just made this chocolate one and it was GREAT!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Eggless-Chocolate-Cake-II/Detail.aspx
My business partner and her family are vegetarians and they loved it & I just used my regular buttercream (which I use all vegetable shortening) and left out the meringue powder.

Doug Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhawk83

Allrecipes.com has a number of egg-free dairy-free cakes - but I just made this chocolate one and it was GREAT!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Eggless-Chocolate-Cake-II/Detail.aspx
My business partner and her family are vegetarians and they loved it & I just used my regular buttercream (which I use all vegetable shortening) and left out the meringue powder.

read labels on veg. shortening carefully if soy is a concern.

example: on Crisco first ingredient is soybean oil.

http://www.crisco.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?groupID=17&prodID=315

yes, soy is in a lot of things in one form or another.

cakedivamommy Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 11

Yup Doug, thats my problem with my regular icing. The Crisco has soy in it. BUMMER! If it doesnt have milk in it then places put soy. URG!

quilting2011 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:12am
post #10 of 11

My daughters are have multiple allergis peanuts
, dairy, soy and wheat. I

Our family eats organic- no junk food or any artificial ingredients. We eat a vegan diet.

A book I recommend is Allergy cooking with Ease. You can check online for recipes too.

Hope that helps.

veghed Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:00pm
post #11 of 11

There is a egg/milk free cake on this site called Wacky Cake. I have made the same cake from vegan website that I visit. It is seriously yummy.

I have also heard it called Wartime Cake.

A lot of vegans use almond and hemp milk for baking. I love almond milk.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%