Fondant And Buttercream Question

Decorating By okstout4 Updated 26 Jun 2010 , 12:42pm by mamawrobin

okstout4 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:54am
post #1 of 3

I am making a cake using wilton buttercream icing. Since wal-mart was the only thing open I had to go there to try to find Gum Paste. They didnt have it in stock. So I purchased Fondant instead.

Will Fondant do well with buttercream? I am making a Diego cake and saw some designs in the gallery of palm trees made out of gum paste. Can I do the same thing w/fondant? I also plan to make jungle animals out of the fondant and have them stuck to the sides of the buttercream cake. Will this work. And while we are at it what is the difference between fondant and gum paste. Why would I want or use one over the other? Thanks!

If all else fails, the cake needs to be ready by 4pm on Sunday, so Im thinking I can get some gum paste if I have to tomorrow and work on it and apply on Sunday.

2 replies
yummy Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:24am
post #2 of 3

Welcome to cc okstout4!

Gumpaste is for making decorations that need to dry hard, flowers, 3D figures, decorations on wires etc.. It's not edible; and it dries fast. You can use fondant for what you are trying to achieve if you add tylose powder to your fondant. It has the same effect as gumpaste. You can probably make decorations that need to dry hard with just fondant but you would probably need to make them weeks in advance. They make ready made gumpaste and wilton has a gumpaste powder mix. You can also make your own gumpaste. Fondant without the tylose is what you want to decorate your cake with to be eaten. Both can be colored with gel icing colors.

If your talking about flat animals stuck to the cake all you need is a small artist paint brush and water; wet the back of fondant decoration (you don't want it to be wet just dip brush in water and scrape excess on side of bowl)and place on cake.

If the cake is due Sunday, you need to make your gumpaste figures ASAP they really should have been make already to guarentee that they dry by Sun. If it's 3D animals you're making, I don't know if they will. Now if they were flat decorations on wires they would be dry if you did them earyl tomorrow morning. HTH

mamawrobin Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 3

Ditto to what yummy said. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%