This Should Be So Simple! Why Can't I Do It?

Decorating By arsing1 Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 11:37am by gscout73

arsing1 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:06am
post #1 of 23

I have a cake for tomorrow that has a fondant rope border. I keep rolling the strips and they dry and break before I can get them wound together. I'm nearly in tears. I've done it so many times. What am I doing wrong?

22 replies
tesso Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:11am
post #2 of 23

add some crisco. or you can add a tiny amount of corn syrup. I prefer the corn syrup.

arsing1 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:12am
post #3 of 23

I've been adding Crisco and it's not helping. I will try the corn syrup. Thank you.

dsilvest Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:17am
post #4 of 23

You might try warming the fondant up in the microwave for a few seconds and then knead in some shortening. The fondant will be softer and may roll into ropes easier.

Doug Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:18am
post #5 of 23

you must be having the opposite problem as we are down here -- low humidity (we're dying in 90%+ humidity and temps!)

soak a towel in water -- ring out excess so it is just damp.

as soon as made, put ropes under it until time to twist them together. Keeps them in a humid environment and slows the dry time.

also, keep fondant not in use in well sealed container. if need to keep some handy on counter, put it under damp towel too.

arsing1 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:22am
post #6 of 23

I'm in Alabama. We've got plenty of humidity! lol

I've been warming it in the microwave and putting what seems like tons of Crisco in it. It's just drying out so fast I can't work with it.

dsilvest Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:29am
post #7 of 23

Do you have to make a rope border? If you don't try just a narrow strip of fondant around the lower edge. You might be able to get it on before it cracks and breaks. Or just make a ball border.
BTW did you colour the fondant? Too much colour changes the texture and it cracks and breaks.

arsing1 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:29am
post #8 of 23

I've tried everything, it's still not working. I"m gonna try to make a larger rope and just press the rope look into it. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks anyways.

arsing1 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:32am
post #9 of 23

The lady requested the rope border. I did color it but it's a light tan so I don't think it would be too much color, I don't know though. If I can't get anything to work then she's gonna have to live without it and I'll give her a discount.

Kitagrl Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:44am
post #10 of 23

For future reference....First Impressions sells an awesome rope border mold. thumbs_up.gif

Doug Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:45am
post #11 of 23

did you add WATER?

yes, I have had to do that.

usually just enough to wet your hands under the faucet and then knead the fondant.

crisco is not always the answer.

and repeated heating will drive moisture OUT of the fondant.

tonedna Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:46am
post #12 of 23

Do you have gumpaste? Add some gumpaste to add some elasticity. If you been rolling the same fondant over and over again, maybe is already past away. Get a new piece of fondant and add gumpaste. 50/50 is the best/
Edna icon_smile.gif

carmijok Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:47am
post #13 of 23

I can't believe your fondant is drying that fast...even after crisco, damp towels, etc. Sounds more like gum paste. Did you Tylose your fondant? Is it homemade, or did you buy it?

arsing1 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 11:53pm
post #14 of 23

Thanks for all the responses. I just dropped the cake off and she loved it. Didn't even notice the rope was different from what was in the picture, or at least she didn't say anything about it. I ended up just rolling out strips and cutting diagonal lines through it about halfway to give the appearance of rope. My husband said it looked more like french bread....but that's just his smart ass coming out. I'll attach a pic of the finished cake.
LL

JaeRodriguez Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:49am
post #15 of 23

Looks like a rope to me! :] I'm glad it worked out for you!

arsing1 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:50am
post #16 of 23

Thank you!

chellescountrycakes Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:16am
post #17 of 23

you did a great job!! verycute cake and I love the girl!

gscout73 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:33am
post #18 of 23

I agree. It looks really good. I'm down in So Fla and my prob sometimes is that my air conditioning will dry out my fondant while working. I've had to resort to using a lot of saran wrap and partially covering what ever I've already rolled out.

And yes, I've even resorted to adding some water my wetting my hands and working the fondant to add moisture, then using shortening to make it not stick.

My biggest problem is going outside into the sauna we call the florida climate. Everything that was firm, dry and solid becomes soft.

Sandy

hilly Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:50am
post #19 of 23

It looks great, I bet she didn't even notice it was different icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:56am
post #20 of 23

Florida..isn't it the best!..lol
Gotta love it!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

arsing1 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:16am
post #21 of 23

Thank you all so much.

I'm really worried about what the humidity will be like in October. I have a wedding cake to do that's covered in fondant. It's gonna have the quilted pattern and I'm afraid that it's gonna get soft and lose the pattern....we shall see!

jojo76 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:00am
post #22 of 23

hats off to all you ladies accross the pond dealing with that weather! I nearly had a nervous breakdown when we had 30 degrees heat, without the humidity when i was icing a wedding cake! its very rare really for us to get very hot and humid weather so we dont have to deal with it much here in the uk, thank goodness, you guys must have nerves of steel!!

gscout73 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:37am
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsing1

Thank you all so much.

I'm really worried about what the humidity will be like in October. I have a wedding cake to do that's covered in fondant. It's gonna have the quilted pattern and I'm afraid that it's gonna get soft and lose the pattern....we shall see!

You should not have a problem with the pattern. It should be fine.

Sandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%