Help Please! Mm Fondant

Decorating By jjpow Updated 26 Jun 2010 , 3:29am by jjpow

jjpow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjpow Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:06am
post #1 of 5

I have a cake that is needed tomorrow and i covered the cakes today with my mm fondant. The thing is, my house is soooo hot that the fondant on the cake is starting to warm on one of the cakes and become droopy. Is it safe to put mm fondant cake in the fridge??? It is the only thing that i can think of to help! and also, if i cant, what should i do to help save the cake? Honeslty, the front that will show is fine and doesnt look harmed, but the back is a little droopy and i feel like i shouldnt be selling a cake that way..

4 replies
Ocean23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ocean23 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:18am
post #2 of 5

your MM fondant will become very sticky if you put it in the fridge. Not sure what you can do to fix it - do you have an air conditioned room in your home? Is there any way you can work into your design a new design panel for the back and remove the droopy one? Sorry for your frustration!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:26am
post #3 of 5

Yes you can put it in the fridge. If you have a cardboard box that it will fit in, place it in there first. When you take it out don't touch the fondant until the condensation dries up. You can place it in front of a fan to speed things up.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:00am
post #4 of 5

Yup...I had this happen last summer to me and putting it into the fridge did help. Remember that when you do take it out of the fridge you will get some condensation so it may be a bit shiny but that will evaporate.

Two questions tho...did you let the cake settle for at least 2 hours before covering it with fondant? If not then you might want to remove the fondant, let the cake settle on the counter in a cooler room for a few hours and then cover it with the fondant. The other question is...do you not have A/C or at least a fan to sit in front of with the cake? It is very very hard to work on any cake with the summer heat so I feel for you. The time I went thru this last summer we lost our A/C all of a sudden and it was just too hot! UGH!

Good luck!
Cat

jjpow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjpow Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:29am
post #5 of 5

were actually in the process of moving and the house were in now doesnt have ac. i put it int he fridge for a bit and it seemed to set back up a bit. and yes! i have had a fan on it all day. haha. i thought that was my best option. and i do let my cakes set, it must have just been the heat. thanks for all your guys help it seemed it have worked!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%