Please Help! Ganache And Filling Won't Set!

Decorating By AileenGP Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 10:52pm by pugmama1

AileenGP Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 4

So I've been working on a cake since last night... and nothing is going right except for the baking part.

While I was waiting for the last cake to bake, I made my ganache so it could sit overnight (1st big mistake - don't try to do calculations at 3am). Well, I don't know why but I did a 1:1 ratio and when I checked on it this morning, I couldn't understand why it didn't set until I retraced what I did.

I didn't have any more chocolate, so I tried to whip it to try and salvage it. Didn't want to whip (and I've made whipped ganache before the same way). I put it aside so I could try to add more chocolate later when I had a chance to go to the store.

Next I made my filling, a cheesecake mousse that I've done a million times. Well today, it wasn't as thick/set as I normally make it but I felt that it should work.

So I torted the cakes and filled them, covered them in plastic wrap, and put it in the fridge while I went to the store for chocolate. When I checked on the cakes again, I saw that some of the filling squeezed out.

I also tried fix the ganache I started by adding more chocolate, however it doesn't want to set to peanut butter thickness for under the fondant.

Now I have two questions:

1. Should I start an entirely new batch of ganache or try to salvage it. (I hate wasting ingredients)
2. Should I remake the filling, remove the original filling, and put the new filling, or just leave it as it is.

*sigh* I'm beyond frustrated. I have a feeling this problem is due to the heat but I still need to make it work!!!

Please help!

3 replies
pugmama1 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 4

Have you chilled the ganache?

AileenGP Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 4

Yeah, I've tried putting it in the fridge for a little while, since our home is about 80 deg right now, but maybe I'm just not patient enough?

pugmama1 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 4

Usually chilling firms it up. I don't know what you mean by a little bit- half hour? Hour? I am thinking my own takes at least an hour, two hours, or more in the fridge to firm up enough to ice and pipe. I make mine a day or two before and refrigerate it and then warm it a little to get the consistency I need. Maybe stick it in the freezer and see what happens since you need it soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%