Cream Filling Will It Freeze Okay?

Decorating By lilruby Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 4:07pm by all4cake

lilruby Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 8

I made a cream filling for a cake I am torting. I want to freeze the cake. I have read a similar recipe saying its ok to freeze, but I am just not sure.
Cake Filling

½ cup flour
1 cup milk
½ cup butter
½ cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
¼ tsp. salt

Combine flour and milk in small saucepan until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil ( mixture will be very thick), cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Pour into bowl and press wax paper on top, cool completely.

Cream butter and shortening, add sugar a whip until light and flufffy. Beat in vanilla and salt. Gradually beat in milk mixture, then beat for 5 minutes or until filling is light and fluffy.

here's the ingredients list

7 replies
lilruby Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 8

icon_sad.gif no reply's to my post about freezing the cream filling / icing mixture?

Auryn Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 8

Those proportions of milk to flour- after about a minute boiling its going to turn into a super thick paste that is going to be difficult to continue to stir and its going to stick all over the inside of the pot and will start burning and sticking to the bottom.

Have you made this recipe before??
I say give it a try, just be aware that when you thaw it out you are going to have to beat it again to get it soft and fluffy.

Give it a try, its not that much in ingredients and you won't know till you try.

all4cake Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 8

That type of icing/filling is freezable. i've not seen it with that much flour either... but that type is definitely freezable

lilruby Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 8

Yes I have made it and yes it is very thick and difficult to stir, but i really didn't have a hard time with it sticking to bad. My arm was tired for sure!
I want to freeze it in the finished cake, I guess I did not state that before.
thank you for your reply's, it helps.

all4cake Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 8

That's what I thought you meant and my reply was with the understanding that it would be on/in the cake when you froze the cake.

I make this type icing on occasion and do freeze the cakes that are filled/iced with it sometimes too without any problems whatsoever.

lilruby Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 8

The filling froze well and tasted great.

all4cake Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 8

Quote by @%username% on %date%