Ok To Refrigerate Cake After Decorating?

Decorating By dovelady Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 5:30am by tonedna

dovelady Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 22

Ok... I get home today and have to make my grandsons bday cake tonight for his party tomorrow morning. There are little bitty ants on my counter so now I cant do the cake and put it on the counter over night. It will just have BC icing on it. Will it hurt it if I refrigerate the cake after I decorate it? Otherwise I have to drive it out to her house tonight after I get done!
Thanks!!

21 replies
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 22

No, that will not hurt the cake at all! Especially with just BC on it. If you were using fondant, that's not supposed to go in the fridge b/c it makes it sweat and get shiny, but a BC cake is fine! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 22

I always refrigerate all cakes, even fondant ones. thumbs_up.gif

dovelady Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 22

Thank you so much!!!!

KHalstead Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 22

Kitagrl do you use satin ice??

I have to make one of those cherrry blossom cakes tonight for a wedding (not sure why I haven't started UGH) and it's REALLY hot here and I have no a/c but I have an extra fridge that's nice and cold and completely empty....I'd love to put the cake in there but I am scared to death than when it comes to room temp the dk. brown trunk will bleed onto the icing. Do you get condensation when it comes to room temp?

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:19am
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I always refrigerate all cakes, even fondant ones. thumbs_up.gif

Really? We always have problems with condensation just a minute or two after the cake comes out of the fridge. Even with MMF, which I had heard before you are supposed to be able to refrigerate. But we live in Florida and it's really humid here. Maybe that's why?

carmijok Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:43am
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dovelady

Ok... I get home today and have to make my grandsons bday cake tonight for his party tomorrow morning. There are little bitty ants on my counter so now I cant do the cake and put it on the counter over night. It will just have BC icing on it. Will it hurt it if I refrigerate the cake after I decorate it? Otherwise I have to drive it out to her house tonight after I get done!
Thanks!!

I always refrigerate my BC cakes...and I keep it in the fridge until delivery time. Never have had a problem with condensation when it comes to room temp. If you are keeping it overnight I would suggest that if you have a lot of fondant decor on it to put it in a cardboard box and then wrap the box with cling wrap before refrigerating. Keeps the humidity down. If you just have a little decor to do, refrigerate your iced cake (no need for a box) and then put the decor on just before you have to leave.

tonedna Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:50am
post #8 of 22

I think it depends on the temperature of the fridge and the outside temperature an humidity. I can't do it here where I am. It sweats buckets.
Edna icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 1:22pm
post #9 of 22

it is super hot and humid here right now too.........I wound up just leaving it out all night, I put extra powdered sugar in my bc to firm it up a bit more so it wouldn't melt in the heat. It was 86 degrees in my house last night!

We're going on vacation in a week and if it weren't for that I would be shelling out a couple hundred bucks for an a/c unit for my kitchen...this is just too much stress dealing with wedding cakes when everything is MELTING!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:40pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I think it depends on the temperature of the fridge and the outside temperature an humidity. I can't do it here where I am. It sweats buckets.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Yup, that's my problem too! Especially in the summer!

mamawrobin Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:54pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:

Edna icon_smile.gif

Yep. Same problem here in Arkansas. If I take a cake that has been in the fridge (did this ONCE only) out into the heat and humidity it ruins the cake. Literally. If I leave the cake at room temperature it isn't affected one bit. thumbs_up.gif

drakegore Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:56pm
post #12 of 22

i put my bc cake with fondant decorations in the fridge and bring them to room temp in room with gentle AC and i never get condensation and i live where summers are hot and humid.

mamawrobin Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:58pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

i put my bc cake with fondant decorations in the fridge and bring them to room temp in room with gentle AC and i never get condensation and i live where summers are hot and humid.

Yeah but you're in Mass. and Edna and I are in the South where it's like 98% humidity and 110 degrees. Maybe that's the difference. thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 4:40pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

Yeah but you're in Mass. and Edna and I are in the South where it's like 98% humidity and 110 degrees. Maybe that's the difference. thumbs_up.gif

I used to live in Boston, and the summers there can be heinous, believe it or not. We always had about three weeks mid-summer where the heat and humidity rivaled anything I've ever felt in the South, and I've also lived in Alabama, Louisiana and Florida.

costumeczar Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 4:43pm
post #15 of 22

And ask me what time of the year I was big, fat and pregnant with both my kids. Yes, mid-summer in Boston, with no air conditioning. thumbsdown.gif

kcw551 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:25pm
post #16 of 22

I put every cake I do in the fridge after I'm done with them. Every single one, no matter how it is decorated. But humidity is not a problem here in Colorado. It seems to be more of an issue where the humidity is high and I can understand that. Use to live in Rochester, NY area and humidity was the hardest part to deal with in the summer. But that was before I started making cakes and have no experience with that problem. Best of luck!

tonedna Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:06am
post #17 of 22

Have you ever taken a bath and get out of the bathroom and started sweating?
lol That's humidity! Is that bad here. We live using AC, but is hot outside. I think the closest I have been to feel this kind of heat was Texas. I have been in Oklahoma, very very hot, but for some reason the heat is not the same. You can feel this intense heat but it feels dryer. In here you go out and it feels like a Sauna.

Edna

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 8:34pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:

lol That's humidity! Is that bad here. We live using AC, but is hot outside. I think the closest I have been to feel this kind of heat was Texas. I have been in Oklahoma, very very hot, but for some reason the heat is not the same. You can feel this intense heat but it feels dryer. In here you go out and it feels like a Sauna.

Edna

Yup, we've lived in Tulsa too, and it is definitely a different heat!

mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 9:13pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:

Edna

Yep..I've also lived in Oklahoma..Arkansas has this kind of humidity that makes you feel like you're "in a sauna". It's almost unbearable at times. I always say it isn't the heat that's "killing" me it's the humidity... icon_lol.gif

tonedna Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:03am
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

Edna

Yep..I've also lived in Oklahoma..Arkansas has this kind of humidity that makes you feel like you're "in a sauna". It's almost unbearable at times. I always say it isn't the heat that's "killing" me it's the humidity... icon_lol.gif

I always remember when I was growing up. No AC in the house. My father cut it when the issues with oil happened back then. It was Puerto Rico, middle of summer. OMG..taking a bath was no help. I remember getting up in the middle of the night to take a bath and getting in bed all wet to cool down..no fun! Sauna!!! icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:37am
post #21 of 22

OMG..you poor thing. I cannot imagine NO A/C especially in Puerto Rico in the "MIDDLE OF SUMMER" icon_eek.gif I don't keep my house very hot in the winter (about 68-70 degrees) but in the summer I keep that baby COLD icon_lol.gif My kids run around with sweatshirts over their summer clothes because it's so cold in our house.

I NEVER complain about my bill either. It's worth every red cent. My husband complains from time to time and he works for the power company. icon_lol.gif

tonedna Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:30am
post #22 of 22

Oh I dont complain either about the bill..I am getting too old for wanting to deal with a hot house too! Lol
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%