Shoe Box Cake Lid Question

Decorating By cdent Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 5:57am by mrsmudrash

cdent Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone! I have a question on making the lid. Do you cover a seperate piece of cake and then put it on top of the main box cake or cover the main box and then do a faux top with fondant? I love how crisp everyone seems to get their lidded boxes. Thanks!!

3 replies
1234me Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 4

I do a faux top - make it out of fondant with tylose added and let it dry for several days!

KathysCC Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:48am
post #3 of 4

I just posted my shoe box cake yesterday. I made my lid by covering a piece of cardboard cake board with gumpaste. I folded the gumpaste over the edges and let it dry sitting on a couple of drinking glasses. If I had covered the cake board with waxed paper, I probably could have removed it so that I could have called the cake "all edible". Instead, I decided to leave the cardboard to keep the gumpaste from cracking.

I attempted a lid made from cake one time, on a fishing tackle box. It was very difficult to do. The weight of the cake made it too hard to deal with. So I recommend pure gumpaste for the lid, no cake.

mrsmudrash Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:57am
post #4 of 4

I made my lid from a single layer of cake set on foam core...didn't have any issues....used melted chocolate to get it to stick to the box and dowels.

You can also use RKT covered in fondant if you're worried about the weight...that way it's still edible...and you can get it thick like an actual lid.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%