What Did I Do Wrong? Cupcakes Are Tricky!

Baking By JaeRodriguez Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 2:06am by DetailsByDawn

JaeRodriguez Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 13

Hello all,

I tried to make cupcakes yesterday (only for the second time from scratch EVER), I am great with baking cakes from scratch but the first recipe I tried for yellow cupcakes was disgustingly dry (probably overbaked, maybe) and this time I used my go to yellow cake recipe- Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow Cake. I turned the oven down to 325 and I cooked for 30-35 minutes I can't remember. Oh, I didn't have any cupcake liners so just used a muffin pan greased and I filled about half way full. Ok so the problem was that they rose and fell, and then they had a little dark "crust" on them and were perfectly flat. I am used to this happening to the cake when I make it, it falls a bit out of the oven and it has a yummy little dark ring of crust. They were so yummy, very moist. Just wanted to know if I there is anyway to avoid the falling and the ring around the outside. I just want them to look prettier basically! Thanks!

Jae usaribbon.gif

12 replies
LindaF144a Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:51am
post #2 of 13

My guess is you cooked them too long at too low a temperature. What you describe is usually for underbaked. I'm thinking that either the outside or the inside did not cook at the right time frame to set, probably the inside. If it takes too long to cook them, they will not build the structure you need to keep them from collapsing.

I also read that if you want a dome, you put the oven to 400 degrees, and after 10 minutes you turn down the oven to 350 degrees for a total cooking time of 20-22 minutes.

I have made lots of cupcakes from lots of recipes. I have yet come across one that says 325 for 30 minutes. All of them say 350 and they vary from 18 - 22 minutes.

JaeRodriguez Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:33am
post #3 of 13

Ok thank you, I thought I read somewhere on here that you should turn it down to 325 but now that you say that I do remember seeing people say they turn it up and then down. Thank you so much! I was worried that I won't figure it out before I make them for my sister in law's baby shower! :]

emrldsky Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 13

Most people bake their cakes at 325, so that might be where you got the number from.

But for me, 325 works for my cuppies too. I only bake them for 20 minutes at that temp, though.

Just play around with the temps until you get the right consistency for your cupcakes.

LindaF144a Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 13

emrlksky brings up a good point.

Go get yourself an oven thermometor. You can buy the Sunbeam brand at your local grocer usually. Check your oven temp.

My oven is brand new and still I have to adjust by the thermometer. So if 350 works for me and 325 works for her, it could be both are at the same temp inside the oven. When I say 350, it is what is indicated on the thermometer. Without the thermometer, who knows what temp your oven is.

But it's best to get the thermometer. At 325 for your oven you could actually be running lower than that too.

emrldsky Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

emrlksky brings up a good point.

Go get yourself an oven thermometor. You can buy the Sunbeam brand at your local grocer usually. Check your oven temp.

My oven is brand new and still I have to adjust by the thermometer. So if 350 works for me and 325 works for her, it could be both are at the same temp inside the oven. When I say 350, it is what is indicated on the thermometer. Without the thermometer, who knows what temp your oven is.

But it's best to get the thermometer. At 325 for your oven you could actually be running lower than that too.

Very true! icon_smile.gif

Jenn2179 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 13

I bake that exact recipe at 375 to get the nice domes and so they don't fall in the middle.

KHalstead Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 13

I bake at 375 for domed cupcakes and 325 for flat topped cuppies!

I think the problem was DEFINITELY your temperature. The cupcakes are rises quickly (because they're small) but yet don't have enough "baked" to create structure to support that "rise" so they fall back flat!

Raise the temp. and see if that doesn't do the trick!

JaeRodriguez Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks Ladies, emrldsky I think I did get that from cakes, and Linda I will probably go out and get a thermometer I think that would be a great thing to have in general for whatever I'm cooking because I know my oven and my dad's oven (I sometimes bake there) cook very differently at the same temps! Jenn- Thank you for the input!! Do you get the crust around the edges? Do you get the crust when/if you make the cake layers with this recipe or is that something I'm doing wrong? I'll raise the temp and try these bad boys again! Thanks again!

DetailsByDawn Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 13

Just a quick comment about not using paper cupcake liners also.... Though this won't completely solve the problem you're having, it will help a bit. Using paper liners for your cupcakes allow the cake to rise higher - this is due to the non-slick surface (it will cause the cake to "climb" the paper). Just a thought!

I looked up this thread too
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603740-.html
the main piece of advice is baking at 400 to start and then dropping to 350. Good luck!!

JaeRodriguez Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:29am
post #11 of 13

DetailsbyDawn, I read that thread and I am definitely going to try that this time! At least I know that I can make the cupcakes and they will taste great they just might not be gorgeous! icon_biggrin.gif And btw your signiture line just made my day! ;]

foodguy Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:53am
post #12 of 13

All cupcakes were baked at 375' at our bakery...this created beautful domes and made them easy to ice.

DetailsByDawn Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 2:06am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeRodriguez

DetailsbyDawn, I read that thread and I am definitely going to try that this time! At least I know that I can make the cupcakes and they will taste great they just might not be gorgeous! icon_biggrin.gif And btw your signiture line just made my day! ;]

icon_lol.gif LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%