Lumpy Shortening. Yuck.

Baking By Kitagrl Updated 26 Jun 2010 , 2:41pm by bisbqueenb

Kitagrl Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 4

Well now that its summer, where I store my Sweetex is very close to an a/c vent. So the shortening gets nice and hard.

Today I assumed the warmth of the soggy butter and everything else would eventually soften the shortening but I have teeny tiny bumps of shortening that just won't blend out (noncrusting recipe). GRRRR.

Should I start nuking my shortening before I use it? I'm not sure where else to keep it.....

3 replies
bisbqueenb Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 4

I have to nuke mine in the WINTER! Summer time it is just perfect right out of the box! Just be careful not to get it toooo soft!

Kitagrl Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

I have to nuke mine in the WINTER! Summer time it is just perfect right out of the box! Just be careful not to get it toooo soft!

Well in winter its right next to the HEATER vent. haha. Perfect.

What level do you nuke yours on? Or like a "soften cream cheese" setting or something, like you would butter?

bisbqueenb Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 4

Just 10-15 seconds at a time...I weigh my shortening out on saran wrap, put in in the micro and zap it till it 'feels' just right when I squeeze it thru the saran wrap. After a few tries, you will know how long each batch takes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%