Newbie Question

Decorating By jennsgifts Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 8:18pm by jennsgifts

jennsgifts Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 6

Ok so I'm in a small town that apparently doesn't have any stores that carry wilton supplies. Can I use mirangue powder instead of color flow or does it have to be color flow?

5 replies
JayyBugg Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 6

kay this is kinda like the blind leading the blind haha but i THINK i remember my teacher saying you can make royal icing and add more water til you get the right consistency.

GeminiCake Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, you can mix meringue powder, powdered sugar and water to make Royal Icing, and then add water to thin it out in order to make "color flow"


metria Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 6

ya i was always confused when i read the description of the color flow product. it sounded like it's to be used for flooding...which i've always just watered down royal icing.

Cindy619 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 6

You can definitely get the same general effect using thinned royal icing. The main difference is that color flow produces a shinier, more brittle product. On the other hand, royal icing tends to be less brittle but has a matte finish.

jennsgifts Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all Soooo much I'm trying to do a bridal shower cake for a friend. She is doing a camouflage theme and couldn't figure out any other good way to incorporate camo than to use corner decorations of the color flow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%