Mmf Not Drying

Decorating By sweetnessx3 Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 10:23pm by mariposa15

sweetnessx3 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone,

I finally got the nerve to make my own fondant ,using the recipe on here and loved it very easy icon_smile.gif anyway ,my question is .... I made a baby rattle for a diaper bag cake Im making tomorrow ( wish me luck!) and its been out drying for 2 days icon_sad.gif but is still soft . Whats wrong with it , did i use to much crisco when working with it?
Im also making a mickey cake , how do i make the ears ?
Thank you.

7 replies
Allidsk8 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 8

It may be too humid out for it to dry. Try putting it in your oven with just the light on, I find it helps. As for the mickey cake i would just trace two circles, stick toothpicks into the bottoms and let them dry. I have never done it myself but I think it would work. Good Luck!!! Hope it helps!

sweetnessx3 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you icon_smile.gif I hadnt thought of that ! Good idea for the ears too icon_smile.gif))

smurffy Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 8

I have always had a tough time getting MMF to dry. I mix it with a small about of gum paste of some modeling chocolate. If you mix it with gum paste it will dry quicker, but the drying time depends on the amount you use. Modeling chocolate/fondant mix takes several days to stifffen but it works too.

mayo2222 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 8

If I need MMF to dry fast I normally put it in front of a fan. Works great for me

JayyBugg Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 8

i had the same problem i think i worked in too much crisco cause 4 days later its still gummy

sweetnessx3 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 8

Im going to try to make gumpaste Ive never worked with it .... But, I was so proud of myself for making fondant lol! I will try your suggestions icon_smile.gif !Right now I have it in the oven lol! Thank you guys your always such a helpicon_smile.gif

mariposa15 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 8

I make the original recipe of mmf. It doesn't have crisco on it. Just plain marshmallows water and sugar. This one dries very well. But if you are adding the black color do have in mind that it will be very hard to work with... Do start with a chocolate mmf or maybe paint it in the end...

Quote by @%username% on %date%