Icing Question

Decorating By srtodd77 Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 5:53am by tonedna

srtodd77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srtodd77 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 8

I covered a cake in icing that used butter and milk. I then covered it in fondant not even thinking. Do I need to put the cake in the fridge because of the butter and milk? Will it ruin the fondant if I do that? The shower is tomorrw at 2 and I just did it. Will it be ok to leave out?

Thanks to all you wonderful cake friends!
Rachel

7 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 8

The cake will be okay outside the fridge. I've heard that the amount of sugar in buttercream (which is one kind of icing that has milk and butter in it) will keep it from going bad. I've left buttercream out for over a week (in the intense heat of my non-airconditioned kitchen) with no problem. Just as long as your recipe has no eggs in it, as in a meringue buttercream, you should be okay.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 8

I agree with Marianna (as usual) it will be fine out of the fridge. I never refrigerate my cakes and I use milk in my bc. I don't use perishable fillings so that I DON'T have to refrigerate. thumbs_up.gif

srtodd77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srtodd77 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 8

There are no egg whites at all. The only perishables were milk and butter. I used the icing as a filling as well. I keep reading everyone's post about refridgerating cakes and it makes me nervous. I have it covered in a cake carrier so I think it will be all right until tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks!
Rachel

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by srtodd77

There are no egg whites at all. The only perishables were milk and butter. I used the icing as a filling as well. I keep reading everyone's post about refridgerating cakes and it makes me nervous. I have it covered in a cake carrier so I think it will be all right until tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks!
Rachel

You don't want to cover a fondant covered cake in an airtight container because it will make your fondant sticky and gummy. Your cake will be fine left at room temperature for several days. The sugar preserves the milk and butter doesn't have to be kept in the fridge anyway. Just make sure that you don't leave your fondant covered cake in the carrier with an airtight lid. It will ruin your cake. thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 8

I agree, it will be fine outside as long as you have AC runing. And mamawrobing
is right, some things are better left outside. The airtight container is not a good idea. If you want to cover it, use a cake box. It let's air move through.

Edna icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:56am
post #7 of 8

It works just fine even without the AC running. This is the harsh voice of experience speaking. It's really hot here ALL THE TIME!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:53am
post #8 of 8

haha Marianna. I can't do that here, just getting a bit humid and it can spell
disaster when traveling with a cake that the icing is too soft
Edna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%