Help With Beating The Wilton Buttercream

Baking By caleyb Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 5:25pm by artscallion

caleyb Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 5

Please settle this for me....with the Wilton Buttercream frosting - my instructor said not to beat it for more than 2 minutes or massive air pockets will develop from over beating. However, I am reading on here on another post that some people are beating their crisco for 15 minutes before adding powdered sugar and then another 10-15 minutes after. Which is the correct way?!?!!

4 replies
BJ Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 5

She's telling you that because the more you mix the buttercream icing the more air will incorporate into your icing and it will cause you issues when icing your cakes. Using the words "massive air pockets" is a bit much but you do not want to overmix the icing. I myself have mixed it for a couple minutes after adding the dry ingredients and everything had mixed together and haven't had a problem (on a low speed using a counter top mixer). You do need to make sure the ingredients are blended but don't go overboard. thumbs_up.gif Hope this helps.

TexasSugar Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 5

I use the Wilton recipe, and I beat the crisco until creamy then add the liquid and mix it in well. Once I add the powder sugar I keep the mixer on low and only mix it until it is mixed well. Why, because if I don't, I get alot of air in it.

Sharon (SugarShack's) recipe works different because she has found if you cover the top of the beater then it can't incorporate air into the buttercream so you can mix it as long as you want.

With Indy's I'm not sure how after adding the ps they can mix it so long and not get air. The only thing I have figured out is that those have made larger batches of it, thus doing simalar to Sharon's recipe.

And no I'm not saying that Indy is lying when she said she beats the hell out of it, and doesn't get air bubbles in it, I'm just saying in my experince it hasn't worked like that for *me*.

My opinion is smaller amounts of buttercream should be made on lower speads and not mixed for every. Larger amounts are a different story. icon_smile.gif

cake-angel Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 5

Yes - I agree with TexasSugar - if you mix the shortening really well until there are no lumps and it is really smooth and creamy and incorporate all of the liquid into it before you add the powdered sugar it will have a wonderful texture.

artscallion Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 5

I think the type/size of mixer you use also makes a difference. A large Hubbard or Kitchenaid with its paddle blades will not incorporate the same amount of air that a smaller hand held mixer with its double four-bladed beaters will. And I agree that it does make a difference how full the bowl is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%