Airbrush Question...

Decorating By cdent Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 7:18am by cdent

cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 7

Hey guys!

So I was wondering if I would jack up my airbrush if I was to water down some Food Coloring Gel? I can't seem to find a specific color (in airbrush colors) and I have it in gel form...suggestions?

Thanks!! Love you guys!!

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 7

I haven't done it, but I've read that others have successfully done so. Shake it up well, and, if it does clog your airbrush, be prepared to know how to disassemble the entire air gun for cleaning along with remembering how it all goes back together!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 7

I paid way to much for air brush to take a chance on using something that wasn't intend to be used in it.

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 7

you can thin down gel colors with clear alcohol.... no biggies.... dosent hurt your air brush....icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 7

A couple of my air guns are used for paint. It's a whole lot easier to run water soluble food coloring through it and clean than it is to try to get rubberized enamel cleaned out.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:26am
post #6 of 7

I ran out of black once in the middle of a project, and I used black gel mixed with everclear. Put it in a container that you can shake really well to make sure it is all mixed up and dissolved before putting it through the airbrush.

And then, make sure you clean your airbrush really well afterwards.

cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:18am
post #7 of 7

Thinning it down worked like a charm, thanks everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%