Icing Recipes?

Baking By Jady Updated 26 Jun 2010 , 1:02am by LindaF144a

Jady Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 5

Hi icon_biggrin.gif I'm looking at icing for the top of a cupcake but people say different things. icon_sad.gif I want to be able to pipe it icon_smile.gif So I was wondering should I do butter cream icing or icing with small amounts of water? Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 5

I don't understand what you mean by "icing with small amounts of water" icon_confused.gif
I will recommend a recipe though. I use Indydebi's bc recipe for my cupcakes. It pipes like a dream and taste wonderful. thumbs_up.gif

Jady Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I don't understand what you mean by "icing with small amounts of water" icon_confused.gif
I will recommend a recipe though. I use Indydebi's bc recipe for my cupcakes. It pipes like a dream and taste wonderful. thumbs_up.gif

This is what I mean :
100g icing sugar, sieved
1 tbsp water icon_confused.gif

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 5

Gottcha thumbs_up.gif I'd use either a crusting buttercream or SMBC. Either one can be piped to make very pretty swirls thumbs_up.gif

LindaF144a Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 1:02am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jady

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

This is what I mean :
100g icing sugar, sieved
1 tbsp water icon_confused.gif

What you are describing is something over here I call a sugar icing. It is very sweet and I don't think it would pipe well at all. I agree with mamawrobin that Indydeb's would be better, or SMBC, or AMBC. You could also use American buttercream. This is basically icing sugar (powdered sugar here), butter, vanilla and a little bit of vanilla. I can't remember the proportions. But I'm pretty sure there is a recipe here on CC for it. I mix it a long time to get the powdered sugar to be less grainy. It pipes well, but won't hold up in the heat as well as Indydeb's. It's also too sweet for my taste, but I get a lot of people who love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%