Need Ideas For A Unique Groom's Cake

Decorating By QueenOfSweets Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 2:05am by Marianna46

QueenOfSweets Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 16

One of my brides has contacted me about doing a groom's cake in addition to the wedding cake. She is planning it as a surprise for her fiance at their rehearsal dinner. She's left design up to me but wants a few unique things incorporated. The groom is a local pro-wrestler who wears a purple uniform, and she wants the uniform incorporated somewhere. He also has a mustache that he's "famous" for, so she wants a mustache incorporated. I don't know that I want to go with a full over-the-top wrestling theme, but she definitely wants the uniform and the mustache to be focal points. This is obviously going to be a 3D sculpted cake, and it has to feed 35-40 people. I have some ideas, but I'd love to get ideas from all of the amazing decorators on here to help me put together a design. What ideas do you have??

15 replies
Doug Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 16

3D figure posing in front of mirror while twirling/trimming/combing his mustache

figure sitting at table w/ mirror working on mustache while costume hangs on coat rack

a can of mustache wax with image of his mustache as the logo and a box of "safe for spandex" detergent -- the uniform could be the illustration on the detergent box

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 16

Doug always has the best ideas thumbs_up.gif

Doug Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 16

just had to.... (ah the joys of vacation!)

if could substitute a picture of the groom on the detergent box all the better!

Could also do cakeboard to look like wrestling ring with the ropes and other stuff.
LL

QueenOfSweets Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 16

Doug, you're awesome! I love that idea. She sent me a picture of the groom in another of his wrestling uniforms (not the purple speedos one) that would look great on the box. What do you think about making a pair of purple speedos out of fondant to look like fabric and kind of laying/draping those next to the box?

Doug Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 16

ROFLMAO! ! ! ! ! !

purple speedos????????

GO FOR IT!!!!!

laughing so hard tears are flowing!!!!

Just be sure to get a pic of his reaction!!!!

cakelace Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 16

Unique idea, as requested, but why detergent?

Doug Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelace

Unique idea, as requested, but why detergent?

why not?

it's fun.

the costume does need to be washed....

great way to incorporate pic of groom in costume.

PiccoloChellie Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfSweets

What do you think about making a pair of purple speedos out of fondant to look like fabric and kind of laying/draping those next to the box?

Trunks...they're called trunks. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I cannot wait to see this cake! I second Doug's idea about making the board look like a ring. Some pretzel rods covered in black or silver fondant, maybe string licorice ropes, a sheet of fondant hanging down for the apron.
Maybe some red smears on the board to look like blood. Yeah, gross, I know, but the best rings have bloodstains and the groom would totally "get it."
Oooh, and a wee gumpaste folding chair somewhere too!

Sincerely,
Former pro wrestler-turned cake decorator icon_wink.gif

metria Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 16

i'm curious about this mustache!

QueenOfSweets Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:49pm
post #11 of 16

[quote="PiccoloChellie]Trunks...they're called trunks. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
[/quote]

Thank you for that clarification. The bride referred to them as speedos, and I have very little wrestling knowledge. Any more tips from a former-wrestler's perspective? Supposedly he has two outfits - a black one, and then these purple trunks with his wrestling name written in script on the rear. It's the purple ones she wants incorporated.

I also like the idea of doing the board as a ring.

Doug Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:52pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:

... and then these purple trunks with his wrestling name written in script on the rear. It's the purple ones she wants incorporated.

oh this just keeps getting better and better.

you just have to do them now with his name on them!

cakelace Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:58pm
post #13 of 16

why not?

it's fun.

the costume does need to be washed....

great way to incorporate pic of groom in costume.[/quote]

I see--I was just trying to get wrestling and washing detergent to fit in my mind- but your right- absoluty needs to be washed after wrestling!
BTW- I love your nifty drawings you whip up so fast.

Marianna46 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:07pm
post #14 of 16

I can't wait to see where this is going to end up. PLEASE post pictures of the cake when it's done!

PiccoloChellie Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:48pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:

Thank you for that clarification. The bride referred to them as speedos, and I have very little wrestling knowledge. Any more tips from a former-wrestler's perspective? Supposedly he has two outfits - a black one, and then these purple trunks with his wrestling name written in script on the rear. It's the purple ones she wants incorporated.

I also like the idea of doing the board as a ring.

Chances are he's got a darn good sense of humor about his occupation. There are all sorts of little "in jokes" in that particular industry (most of which, honestly, would NOT be appropriate for discussion on this forum, let alone a wedding), but don't be afraid to really have some fun with this cake. 'Rasslers are a different breed. icon_smile.gif

A quick glance at your photos shows that you very obviously have more than enough skill & talent to do some fun gumpaste/fondant accents. If someone were to gift me with a wrestling-themed cake, here are some bits and pieces that would really knock my tights off:
(Girls don't usually wear speedos/trunks; I wore long tights!)

*Definitely make those purple trunks. A wrestler's gear (uniform) is the most important physical aspect of what they do because it defines their character.
*A folding chair. There aren't many wrestlers who haven't been hit over the head with one.
*A pair of wrestling boots. See if you can find out what color his boots are. Wrestlers live by their boots and depend on them to avoid broken ankles. When you retire from the ring, it's referred to as "hanging up your boots." Mine never left my sight and, actually, are currently hanging on my wall. Here's a generic photo of standard boots: http://www.highspots.com/images/images_125/zyy_b004.jpg but some wrestlers have them customized.
*As I mentioned before, streaks of red on the ring canvas.
*A razor blade half wrapped up in white fondant (the fondant resembling white athletic tape). Hey, the blood has to come from somewhere. icon_cool.gif
*A fanny pack. http://www.jaunted.com/files/5957/hogan_3_carryons.jpg No one quite knows why, but fanny packs and wrestlers go together like peas & carrots.
*A fan sign of some sort. "We (heart) (Groom's) moustache!"
*A Sharpie marker. I had 'em in my gear bag, in my purse, in my car, everywhere. People ask for autographs at the strangest times.
*A title belt. http://media.photobucket.com/image/title%20belt/lordofthebelt/101_0187.jpg
*If you know what fed (group) he wrestles with, incorporate their logo. Wrestlers who have a "home fed" are fiercely loyal to that group. It's really like a family.

Marianna46 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 2:05am
post #16 of 16

PiccoloChellie, your professional expertise in this area is like getting a whole education free of charge! This cake is going to be a knock-out (if you'll excuse the expression)!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%