Help Asap, Cake Balls!!!!

Baking By nesweetcake Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 4:19pm by metria

nesweetcake Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 10

Mixing cake balls/cake pops this morning for the first time and added the icing to cake crumbs, not that much, however the cake is very moist. How gooey are they suppose to be. Seems more like raw cookie dough than cake. Is that correct. Or do I need to add more cake to them. Seems like they would be more like chocolate covered "fudge" on a stick. Please help if you have any experience or advice.

9 replies
baybeecakes Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 10

From my experience they are supposed to be pretty gooey when you put them into the melted choc. that holds them together. Hope this helps!

Julie53 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 10

Hi nesweetcake-when I make mine, I just add enough icing to bind it together. If they are sticky you probably have too much icing.Firm holding together but not like too wet. They tend to become way to sweet with to much icing. Just my way, good luck.

deedee1120 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 10

Cake balls definitely have a denser, fudgier texture than regular cake does. I only add enough binder so that it's not crumbly anymore. Depending on how moist your cake was to begin with, you may not need to add too much binder. A cookie dough consistency sounds about right, but you could add a bit more cake if you feel its too mushy. HTH!

2SchnauzerLady Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 10

Here is a thread on cake balls that will help you out.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-658476-.html

Cindy619 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 10

I like to describe their texture as "truffle-like". On a few occasions, I was in a hurry and ended up adding too much icing and they were quite soft. It made them harder to dip in chocolate afterwords, but my family still devoured them as usual! If you're not sure, shape some "dough" into a ball and then break it in half. If it starts to crumble, add more icing; if it smooshes in your hand, add more cake; if it breaks in half nicely - your good to go! Enjoy icon_smile.gif

nesweetcake Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks all for your replies. Here goes nothing! Any other advice greatly appreciated!

cutthecake Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 10

I think I read that someone binds the cake with heavy cream, which makes the cake balls much less sweet.

motherofgrace Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 10

it should be like firm cookie dough (like sugar cookie) icon_smile.gif

metria Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 10

put in just a little binder at a time, until a clumped ball will stay formed. you can even taste it. if it tastes gross...well, you might have gone overboard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%