Mmf

Baking By cakemommi Updated 26 Jun 2010 , 2:25am by cheatize

cakemommi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommi Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 9

How do I make mmf look smooth and not so glossy. I made it the night before I used it, then when I took it out to seperate it and make my differnt colors and went to mold my objects, they became sticky and melting, it was hard for me to work with and mold. My question: how do I make mmf more workalbe?

8 replies
DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 9

Did you microwave it first? You may have put it in too long. Just wait till it cools again, knead it, and separate into sections for colouring. MMF shouldn't melt otherwise. If that's not it and it's too sticky, you've either added too much water or not added enough ps. Humid over there today maybe?

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 9

In my experience, if you roll MMF a couple of times, it will become dry and crack, so what I do is I take it back to the KitchenAid and add a couple of handfulls of marshmellows, which have been microwaved with a tablespoon of water. If too sticky, I add water powdered sugar until the consistency is perfect again. Works every time. If it cracks a little bit, put a little bit of Crisco. As soon as it is laid on the cake, take Crisco on the tip of your index finger and cover the MMF with it. Then add plastic film until it's time to display it wherever it is that you are going to display it.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:19am
post #4 of 9

IMO - MMF is not a good medium to make objects out of. It is great for covering cakes, but I find it doesn't hold 3-D shapes very well. I use wilton fondant and gumpaste for those kinds of things. (50/50 or the fondant with tylose added)

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:30am
post #5 of 9

After you color it you need to let it sit for a little while (at least that helps me). I use MMF for all of my accents on my cakes. The only time I have put tylose in it is when I need something stiff as a board.

Crustymuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crustymuffin Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:34am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

IMO - MMF is not a good medium to make objects out of. It is great for covering cakes, but I find it doesn't hold 3-D shapes very well. I use wilton fondant and gumpaste for those kinds of things. (50/50 or the fondant with tylose added)

I model a lot with MMF I just add Tylose.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:39am
post #7 of 9

Because MMF is made from marshmallows, I find that it melts with the warmth of your hands more than the purchased fondants do. I do not even attempt to use MMF for figures, they just don't come out very nice. Since figures really don't get eaten, except by the children, I use Wilton fondant. It really holds up well to shaping and dries better than MMF.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:16am
post #8 of 9

I use MMF for all my figures, it works great for me. I don't use any other type of fondant for anything, and I don't add anything to it. There is a 3-tier safari cake in my photos - all the animals were done with straight MMF. They were dry in 3 days. Once you perfect your recipe for your own environment and get it to the texture you like, you'll be just fine!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:25am
post #9 of 9

If it is hot and humid in your house, that's going to affect the fondant.

If that's not the problem, perhaps you need to add more powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%