Gumpaste Disaster!!!

Decorating By iris711 Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 7:47pm by iris711

iris711 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 5

HELP!!! my gumpaste is not drying due to weather factor. I live in PR and it's been raining and very humid these past few days and it's going to continue to do so, I have a cake with gumpaste flowers and butterflies for this Sunday. I started my flowers on Wednesday they were drying that day, but in the morning they were all wet and sticky, icon_cry.gif I don't know what to do, I put a fan, a light on them, but they dry during the day and wet again in the morning, HATE THIS HUMIDITY!!! any suggestions??? thanks everyone. icon_cry.gif

4 replies
cake-angel Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 5

You could try putting them in a cardboard box with some packets of silica beads (to help absorb excess moisture). The cardboard should help absorb some of the moisture as well instead of the gumpaste. The silica will trap a lot of moisture too. That is all I can think of at the moment though.

sheena Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 5

In those conditions, I keep my gumpaste flowers under a table lamp 24 hours...the heat from the bulb keeps them absolutely dry. makesure they are not close to any window or any place which has any outside draft circulating. I have one of those flexible lamps so I bend the bulb close to the flowers. It works great for me. HTH

tiggy2 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 5

You can also put them in the oven with the light on (just don't turn the oven on by mistake).

iris711 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 5

thanks everyone, I have them near the windows in the dinning room, no wonder they absorbed all the moisture icon_surprised.gif I will put them in the oven with the light on. My husband suggested the lamp I thought he was crazy, but hey he was right too. I really appreciate your replies off to the oven and the light bulb... icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%