Buttercream Failed- Help!

Baking By dreamcakesmom Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 5:23am by icer101

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 5

So last night I made my typical SMBC and when I added my butter it turned into a melted mess. Granted it was like 85 and humid. So i put it fridge to cool down and firm up and tried to whip again and whipped the heck out of it and still soup? Do you think it's just humidity issues or perhaps I mismeasured my sugar during the meringue stage?

4 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 5

Hmm, my memory is probably faulty, but I think I remember that you just keep beating it and that most people give up at that point because they think there is something wrong.

I'm really unsure....

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:03am
post #3 of 5

I add my butter straight from the fridge when it's hot and humid. It takes the icing a little longer to "come together" but it works for me to do it this way. I take my butter out of the fridge when I start my mixer to whip my meringue. By the time I have it cut into pieces and the meringue is cooled enough to add the butter it's still firm but starting to soften. After two failed batches I've found that this way works for me when it's hot and humid.

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:06am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the responses. I ended up making a whole new batch but in hindsight I think maybe I mismeasured something the first time around

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:23am
post #5 of 5

i too, use my butter , when it is warm in the kitchen, straight from the fridge. I cut little pats when doing it cold. i also have those little freezer (blue packs) around my mixer. I put them there , when i start beating the egg whites(smbc). Leave them there , until i am finished with the process. i am beating my butter on low-med speed. Not high or med -high. this always works for me. Again, use little pats of butter if from the fridge, and slowly combine . this can take a little longer than normal, but you have to do what makes it work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%