Frozen Cake....getting Ready To Ice It Now.

Decorating By okstout4 Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 3:25pm by mamawrobin

okstout4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okstout4 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 3

I have done cakes for many years, but mostly for special occasions. I am working on my son's 3rd b-day cake for this Sunday. When I make cakes they never come out even and I have to cut the bump off the cake to make it level. I always had a hard time doing this. I watch Cake Boss and see them doing it all the time w/out issue. A light bulb went off in my head and i realized they freeze their cakes...this must the way they do it. So I did it. Now, I have 6 cakes (for a 3 tier stacked) that are frozen. It was really easy cutting the "bump" off the cake, but now that its defrosting I am wondering if I can go ahead and ice them? Do you think that will be a problem or do I need to wait till room temp? If so then I have a problem since i am pressed for time and I have to get these iced today. I will be using Wilton's buttercream icing.

2 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 3

Your cakes should be ready to ice within the hour. Frozen cakes take NO time at all to thaw, if that's your plan. HTH. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 3

Wait for your cakes to thaw completely before icing them. If you ice a frozen or partially frozen cake it will take FOREVER for your icing to crust. You will get better results by waiting for it to thaw. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%