How To Get Tappit Letters To Stand Up Vertically?

Decorating By tsal Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 7:35pm by Bonnie151

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:31am
post #1 of 8

Hi,

is there a way to get Tappit letters to stand up vertically as a topper? Is there a way to support them at the bottom?

Any ideas?

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:36am
post #2 of 8

They're so thin that you would not be able to put any type of support in them. All I can think of is to let them dry thoroughly and then make a RI base for them. I'd think it might look a bit messy though.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:38am
post #3 of 8

The only thing i can think of is, To make a plaque first, and glue them 'flat' onto that, and then have that standing up as you would be able to add supports in the back of this.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:39am
post #4 of 8

They are really thin (and the bane of my existence as I find them hard to work with and so easily breakable). I tried cutting larger letters out if gumpaste but that didn't go well at all.

I guess I'll just lay them flat. icon_smile.gif

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:54am
post #5 of 8

You could try making a few of each letter and "gluing" them together to make a thicker, more sturdy piece. Then use a toothpick or whatever to use as a support to stand up.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 8

I just bought some tappits and I have yet to get a whole letter out of them. I have way too much sticking. Anyone have tips on using them?

I would think that if you made them out of gumpaste (and had better luck than I do getting them out of the cutter), they should dry hard enough to stand up.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers971

You could try making a few of each letter and "gluing" them together to make a thicker, more sturdy piece. Then use a toothpick or whatever to use as a support to stand up.

What about making two and use glue to put a wire between them?

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 8

Let them dry, then create a glue from gumpaste softened with water until it's gunky and glue them onto the cake standing up. You can make a seamless finish, rather than using RI which can be a bit messy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%