Soccer Ball, Cake Covered With Fondant, Can I Pre-Make It?

Decorating By CandyCU Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 1:25pm by CandyCU

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 9:36am
post #1 of 7

Hello fellow CCers!

Please, I need some advice!?!?!?

Next week I have to make a soccer themed cake - I was going to bake a large rectangle, have half or two-thirds of a soccer ball on the bottom left corner sitting on grass and the net behind it and on the top half of the cake with the birthday message written on it. The ball will be covered in fondant, the rest will be in soft icing.

I've been wondering, in order to save myself some time (and frustration), whether I could use the same Wilton ball pan tin (that I'll bake the soccer ball in) as a template for the soccer ball pattern? That is, I spray the tin or cover it in cling film then cover the tin as I would a cake with the fondant hexagons and pentagons to resemble the soccer ball. Then allow it to dry hard over a couple of days then place it over my filled and ganached cake ball like a shell?

Will this work? I hope I've made myself clear enough with the description. Is this possible? Has anyone tried this before? Or does anyone have any ideas on how else I could tackle this?

All suggestions would be immensely appreciated!

Cheers!
Cindy

6 replies
CandyCU Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 7

Please, somebody, anybody with any advice or suggestions on this?

Cheers!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyCU

Hello fellow CCers!

Please, I need some advice!?!?!?

Next week I have to make a soccer themed cake - I was going to bake a large rectangle, have half or two-thirds of a soccer ball on the bottom left corner sitting on grass and the net behind it and on the top half of the cake with the birthday message written on it. The ball will be covered in fondant, the rest will be in soft icing.

I've been wondering, in order to save myself some time (and frustration), whether I could use the same Wilton ball pan tin (that I'll bake the soccer ball in) as a template for the soccer ball pattern? That is, I spray the tin or cover it in cling film then cover the tin as I would a cake with the fondant hexagons and pentagons to resemble the soccer ball. Then allow it to dry hard over a couple of days then place it over my filled and ganached cake ball like a shell?

I could be wrong but I don't think this will work. It shouldn't take that much time to cover the "ball" with fondant. To "save time" I would bake ahead and freeze my cakes, make and tint icing and fondant ahead of time, cut out or make any decorations ahead of time, etc. I just don't think covering the tin the way you described will work.

Will this work? I hope I've made myself clear enough with the description. Is this possible? Has anyone tried this before? Or does anyone have any ideas on how else I could tackle this?

All suggestions would be immensely appreciated!

Cheers!
Cindy

icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 7

I am leaning towards no also. Fondant doesn't dry that hard and may break while trying to place over cake. But, you could always try and if it doesn't work you are no further behind than if you didn't try it.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 12:24pm
post #5 of 7

I agree that your plan probably will not work well... So, bake the ball, cover in fondant as you usually would and freeze. Just ensure you wrap well. Put it in a cake box and cover that with 2 garbage bags, ensuring to push all the air out (as much as possible). I do this all the time and it tastes like I just baked it. The fondant seals in the moisture.

PS: If possible, I would use a 1/2 soccer ball. The indents are part of the pan and it would make it easier for you.

Good luck!

sulia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sulia Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 7

hi

i recently made a soccer ball cake (see my pics) and it really did not take long to cover the ball. i think it look about 15 -20 mins max. perhaps you could cut out the hexagon shapes in advance, and cover with with some plastic wrap (so it doesn't harden too much)

good luck

CandyCU Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 7

I will probably do as mamawrobin and yums suggested, to do it straight onto the cake, just gotta plan the rest ahead of time.

Thank you everyone for all your advice, I really appreciate it!

Cheers!
icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%