Urgent---How Do I Fix My Fondant?

Baking By cubcakes Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 4:31pm by mamawrobin

cubcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cubcakes Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:14am
post #1 of 11

I made a White Chocolate Fondant this morning. I'm trying to work it now, I've kneaded it for a VERY long time, added a ton of shortening while kneading and it still won't smooth out...still has that cracking or tearing look. How can I fix this?? ASAP
Thanks!

10 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:25am
post #2 of 11

What recipe did you use? If it has that "cracking or tearing look" you may have added too much shortening.

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:15am
post #3 of 11

I've never made that kind of fondant but when my fondant tears or cracks I add a little glycerine into it and it works wonderful!!! HTH

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:24am
post #4 of 11

I have made white chocolate fondant. I make Michele Foster's fondant (white chocolate version) but I have NEVER had any trouble with it. The chocolate makes it even more pliable so I'm curious what kind of recipe you used. Would you post the recipe? Maybe that will help us be able to help you figure out how to "fix" your fondant thumbs_up.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:36am
post #5 of 11

maybe it needs to rest for a little bit?

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:44am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

Ya know I thought of that myself. I know the recipe that I use has to "rest" for at least 6-8 hours before using.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:48am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

Ya know I thought of that myself. I know the recipe that I use has to "rest" for at least 6-8 hours before using.

i remember when I made a chocolate fondant it needed to rest for a few hours too. you need to give the fondant time to combine.

cubcakes Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:09am
post #8 of 11

Ok..so I used Michelle Fosters Updated Fondant recipe, added the white chocolate ..I made 2 batches, one Wed nite (wasn't as "pliable" as I've made in the past ..but worked.) and the 2nd batch on Thurs morning which was set to rest for almost 12 hrs. The 2nd batch is the problem child. I added a bit more glycerin and worked it in.

I rolled in on a greased plastic sheet but tore and sticks... maybe need to add more powdered sugar to dry it out some?

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:48am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcakes

Ok..so I used Michelle Fosters Updated Fondant recipe, added the white chocolate ..I made 2 batches, one Wed nite (wasn't as "pliable" as I've made in the past ..but worked.) and the 2nd batch on Thurs morning which was set to rest for almost 12 hrs. The 2nd batch is the problem child. I added a bit more glycerin and worked it in.

I rolled in on a greased plastic sheet but tore and sticks... maybe need to add more powdered sugar to dry it out some?

The ONLY fondant I use is Michele Foster's fondant and I've never had any problems with it, especially the white chocolate version. However, I use cornstarch when working with it....try cornstarch.....not powdered sugar....makes a world of difference in the "behavior" of this fondant. Also, did you strain the gelatin/syrup/chocolate mixture??...before adding to the powdered sugar?.....How much powdered sugar did you add to your recipe? Can you explain exactly how you made the fondant? How you wrapped for storage? How much you kneaded it after it "rested" before trying to use?

cubcakes Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:49pm
post #10 of 11

Ok..I'll try using Corn Starch instead...I always get confused as to which one to use! getting old is hell! lol

Let's see..K6 KitchenAid w/ dough hook and slightly less than 4 lb bag Powdered Sugar.
1. I put the sugar (approx 2 - 2 1/2 lbs,) in the mixing bowl,
2. let the gelatin bloom, then heated
3. made and heated the corn syrup mixture
4. added the melted chocolate,
5. poured mixture thru strainer into sugar and incorporated
6. added remaining sugar 1 - 1 1/4 lbs

Greased plastic wrap, triple wrapped and placed in plastic "icing" bucket for almost 12 hours.

When I started to knead it, it was very stiff naturally, and worked it a bit but it never came to that nice pliable stage.

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:31pm
post #11 of 11

[quote="cubcakes"]Ok..I'll try using Corn Starch instead...I always get confused as to which one to use! getting old is hell! lol

5. poured mixture thru strainer into sugar and incorporated

Pouring the "mixture thru a strainer" will not remove all of the "solids" (ask me how I know...LOL). I use cheesecloth to strain the syrup/gelatin mixture thru. Works beautifully.....

This could be part of your problem....everything else was done exactly they way that I do it. This fondant does require A LOT of initial kneading. I take about a handful at a time and knead the he** out of it until I have kneaded the entire batch. Then I knead it all back together in one big lump. After this "initial" kneading it only requires a minimum amount of kneading before rolling out to cover your cake. BUT you have to knead it quite a bit at first.

Try kneading it in much smaller amounts like I do and see if this doesn't make a difference. I'm betting that it will. thumbs_up.gif

This is the most pliable and "user friendly" fondant that I have ever used so I'm curious as to why you are having trouble with it. Hopefully I can offer some advice that will help. I'd like for you to be able to see just exactly how good this fondant can be. icon_lol.gif

Michele's user name is Sugarflowers...you could pm her and maybe she can help if my advice doesn't. She "invented" this recipe and is always so nice about answering questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%