Supports For This Simple Cake?

Decorating By adventuregal Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 5:45am by Cakepro

adventuregal Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:13am
post #1 of 6

I'm doing a cake for this saturday-stacking a 6 on an 8 most likely. I'm wondering if there is anything necessary other than the cardboard circle between the 6 and 8 + the straws? Does anyone have a special way for making this kind of cake sturdy? I'm also wondering what everyones preffered straw is-the bubble tea or McDonalds? I've seen both put on here so I wasn't sure.

5 replies
Cakepro Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:21am
post #2 of 6

All you need is the cardboard cake circle and regular drinking straws. I actually use bamboo skewers when I do little cakes like the a 6" on an 8". Bubble tea straws are a bit of overkill. icon_smile.gif

adventuregal Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:33am
post #3 of 6

thanks! I'll try to find the bamboo straws tomorrow-I have the whole day to finish this project so I'm excited and trying to make it perfect icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:34am
post #4 of 6

You can use bamboo skewers (they are found in the kitchen gadgets section at Wal-Mart) or regular drinking straws - whatever's easier for you to grab! icon_smile.gif

chellescountrycakes Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:43am
post #5 of 6

I have decided to stick with starws, because even though I have an array of tools (I own a farm, and am constantly building something- or fixing something) I can never cut the wood strait enough, and am scared I'll get an edge that wont sit strait.

Just be careful of settleing. I did have that problem with one of my cakes last week. It had been filled, stacked and sat for hours. then when I was fondanting it, after the fondant was on for a while, the cake settled and the straws were sticking up out of the top of the top layer (they were going to hold up the circle for the huge bow on top of the 'package' just cause I'm scared of anything mushing and breaking my cakes... )

Cakepro Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:45am
post #6 of 6

Why on earth would you dowel your cake before putting the fondant on it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%