Couple More Questions....

Decorating By LittleKaren Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 3:43pm by mamawrobin

LittleKaren Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:43am
post #1 of 8

Jeepers I feel like I am soooo out of practice with all this cake stuff!!!!!

I am doing a wedding cake for saturday. I am currently baking the last cake as I type this. It is going to be three layers, 12,8, 6....square. The twelve is chocolate the 8 is vanilla and the top is gluten free vanilla. It is going to have buttercream filling and covered in fondant. In my courses I remember my teacher telling us to always brush the cakes with simple syrup before filling......do you guys do this? I know I've had to do it with certain fillings, but just not sure if I should with just buttercream.....

Also, once cake is decorated tomorrow night, what is the best way to preserve until delivery on saturday morning? I guess I'm worried about the cake drying out overnight.....maybe another reason to use simple syrup?

I was totally confident in the baking process....I always bake thursday night, decorate friday night and deliver saturday until my sister-in-law tonight started questioning me if it was ok to bake it this far in advance....now I'm second guessing myself!!!!!!! Thanks for your help.....

7 replies
chellescountrycakes Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:15am
post #2 of 8

I bake on wend to deliver on saturday. did 5 cakes like this last week, (two wernt used until the next day after)-

once you crumbcoat and fondant cover, the moisture stays in.

I dont know a thing about simple syrup. thats out of my league.

But for Sat delivery, I bake on Wend, freeze, cumbcoat on thursday, sometimes start decorating that night and sometimes finish to deliver on friday, otherwise decorate on friday, deliver on Saturday.

Every cake I delivered last week got complemented in this order " OMG SOOO good, and MOIST!, and it was beautiful!" or "the cake was SOOOO good! It was sooo moist! and OMG how did you do the ribbon?" or "the cake was great, and I cant belive I actually LIKE fondant now!"

I simply stack and fill with buttercream. But I'mscared of anything else. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:36am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellebyerly

I bake on wend to deliver on saturday. did 5 cakes like this last week, (two wernt used until the next day after)-

once you crumbcoat and fondant cover, the moisture stays in.

I dont know a thing about simple syrup. thats out of my league.

But for Sat delivery, I bake on Wend, freeze, cumbcoat on thursday, sometimes start decorating that night and sometimes finish to deliver on friday, otherwise decorate on friday, deliver on Saturday.

Every cake I delivered last week got complemented in this order " OMG SOOO good, and MOIST!, and it was beautiful!" or "the cake was SOOOO good! It was sooo moist! and OMG how did you do the ribbon?" or "the cake was great, and I cant belive I actually LIKE fondant now!"

I simply stack and fill with buttercream. But I'mscared of anything else. icon_smile.gif

I was posting on this thread when my power went out a few minutes ago and this is pretty much EXACTLY what I was going to say thumbs_up.gif
Apparently your sister doesn't do cakes or she would know that it certainly isn't too early to be baking the cake icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif Like chelle...I bake on Wednesday for a Saturday cake. Simple syrup...only use it to adhere fondant to my cakes...never use it on a cake and my cakes are always very moist.
As far as the best way to "preserve the cake until delivery" I would box the cake and leave at room temperature unless it has a perishable filling.

chellescountrycakes Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:56am
post #4 of 8

Mamawrobin, GMTA! icon_smile.gif LOL actually its a testiment to everything I've learned on here icon_smile.gif I might be blonde, and I might be dense, but I do listen occasionally. I dont retain everything, but I listen... ROFLMAO!

what is simple syrup? like karo? I just put my fondant on BC. would this make it easier? or make it stick better? or are you talking about using it to put fondant decorations on the cake?

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:23am
post #5 of 8

I make simple syrup by adding 1 cup boiling water to 1 cup sugar. I don't know if this is the correct way to make s.s. but this works fine for what I use it for. icon_lol.gif (of course the s.syrup should be completely cool before using)

I use it to adhere fondant on my buttercream and ganache covered cakes. YES..it makes the fondant "stick better" and also makes it "easier" IMO. After my buttercream cake has crusted and I'm ready to cover with fondant I put it in the freezer for 15 minutes (no longer...trick I learned from Sharon/sugarshack) When I remove my cake from the freezer I "paint" on a thin layer of simple syrup then cover with fondant. The fondant adhere's to my cake much better using this method. I use the same method for my ganache covered cakes. Planet Cake has an awesome tutorial on youtube "How to cover a cake with fondant" and this is the method that she demonstrates in the video. I love the results that I get using this method.

As far as adding fondant decorations to my cakes I usually just use water. I have a little paint brush with a removable handle that you can fill with water. Love that little tool thumbs_up.gif If I have decorations that are a little heavy I'll use the simple syrup to adhere them but usually just use water.

Elcee Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I make simple syrup by adding 1 cup boiling water to 1 cup sugar. I don't know if this is the correct way to make s.s. but this works fine for what I use it for. icon_lol.gif (of course the s.syrup should be completely cool before using)

mamawrobn, that is how I make it also. Once I remove it from the heat, though, I add vanilla or another complimentary flavoring. I only use it very occassionally for a couple of my scratch recipes. I have never used it for covering cakes with fondant, I use piping gel. I'm definitely going to try it as piping gel can be hard to get on the cake smoothly. Plus it's such a PITA when I realize I'm out when I want to do a cake!

LittleKaren Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for your help....I make simple syrup with the same recipe. And I do also add in some flavouring after it is made......

I was talking more about haveing simple syrup between the torted layers on the cake. Our instructor would brush it on before putting down the filling and I know a couple of times when I used a bit runnier of a filling it did help to have it not absorb into the cake.....but anyways, sounds like it's unnecessary for this cake. And I will be icing with buttercream before putting on my fondant and then there is just some scroll work which I plan to do with buttercream as well......

Thanks for the reminder to never listen to people who don't do cakes and don't know what they're talking about!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKaren

Thanks for the reminder to never listen to people who don't do cakes and don't know what they're talking about!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

You're more than welcome thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%