Sweet 15 Cake Help

Decorating By crystal18_corpus Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 1:54pm by twinkie126

crystal18_corpus Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:38am
post #1 of 7

Hello Cake Central friends I had a few questions about an up coming cake I have to do on July 24th and would appreciate your help with any advice..

ok so here it goes

it is a four tier round cake 12,10,8,6 inch tiers and I have decided to use the sps system and hope to deliver fully stacked.. will it be safe to deliver fully stacked? ive never had to deliver a cake this big..

my second question is about fondant I need a bright white fondant
mmf is not as white as I woul.d like but the cake will be covered in diamond cut outs and scroll work.... which fondant is best to buy is it even worth buying or should I just use mmf the pice of fondant scares me and how much will I need if I buy it 20lbs? that seems like alot.. also what kind of bored do I use as a base to ensure when we pick it up it is strong enough and wont bend... I would appreciate any feedback very much I have lost alot of sleep over this cake lol any suggestions on a time line for the week the cake is due?

thank you so much for taking the time to read this

6 replies
twinkie126 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:53am
post #2 of 7

I always deliver the tiered cakes fully stacked. Remember to put the pin dowel all the way top to bottom. The 20 lbs fondant will be enough. I will buy it just because is very white. Good luck

JCE62108 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:06am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal18_corpus

Hello Cake Central friends I had a few questions about an up coming cake I have to do on July 24th and would appreciate your help with any advice..

ok so here it goes

it is a four tier round cake 12,10,8,6 inch tiers and I have decided to use the sps system and hope to deliver fully stacked.. will it be safe to deliver fully stacked? ive never had to deliver a cake this big..

my second question is about fondant I need a bright white fondant
mmf is not as white as I woul.d like but the cake will be covered in diamond cut outs and scroll work.... which fondant is best to buy is it even worth buying or should I just use mmf the pice of fondant scares me and how much will I need if I buy it 20lbs? that seems like alot.. also what kind of bored do I use as a base to ensure when we pick it up it is strong enough and wont bend... I would appreciate any feedback very much I have lost alot of sleep over this cake lol any suggestions on a time line for the week the cake is due?

thank you so much for taking the time to read this

LOL! Im making a sweet 16 cake for saturday that Im freaking out about right now! I feel ya!!!!

You can use MMF. Just add some bright white dye to it. Its sooo much cheaper than buying it, and if its so slightly off white, do you think anyone will notice? Probably not. Id still add the white dye to it just to make sure you can get it as white as possible though.

My cake is 4 tiers, 14, 12, 9, and 7. I just make 8 batches of fondant tonight. I figure about 5.5 batches will cover it, and hopefully the other 2.5 batches left over should be enough to do the ball border and circle decor on the cake. I have no clue how many lbs that is though. If I had a scale Id weigh it for ya. FOr your cake, I bet you could cover all the tiers with 5 batches, but that wouldnt be enough for decor or borders. So maybe more like 7 batches for you. icon_smile.gif I do two batches at the same time so its not so bad.

I use sps all the time. Its all I use. I have delivered fully stacked 3 tier cakes on several occations. However this will be my first time doing a 4 tiered cake. I asked the same question on here and many people responded saying they think it would be just fine AS LONG AS ITS DONE PROPERLY. Just make sure you assemble it properly and the dowels are supporting the cake, and not the cake supporting cake. I decided Im going to do it fully stacked. Its going to be heavy though, so Ive hired an assistant for the day to help me carry it.

When driving, since it will be so top heavy, watch your corners, speed bumps, and dont stop too fast. Drive in the slow lane. icon_smile.gif Make sure the board it sits on is an appropriate size as well since the cake will be rather narrow and rall, Id make the board a 18". It will help keep it more stable when your driving. I did a 8, 6, 4 cake once, and the board was only a 10". Mistake. It was so unstable during the drive.

A regular 1/2 inch cake drum is fine. Those things are stronger than you may think. That is what Im using for my cake. Ive got a 22" board for mine. icon_smile.gif

Oh and what do you mean by a "time line"?

Good luck hon!!!

crystal18_corpus Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:34am
post #4 of 7

thanks you so much for taking the time to reply I am definetly going to use your advice on the large cake base and I never new you could add white dye to mmf but now im like duh lol why didnt i think of that.... but thank you i read your post earlier today when i was at work wow i bet your cake is going to be awesome.. i read alot on here finaly worked up enough nerve to post something lol ok what I meant about time line was I have that fri and sat off for the cake but when should i start baking when should i ice and cover my cakes what day how many days is too early i don want to leave it all for one day and stress my self out ....

JCE62108 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 7

I depends on your cake recipe I think. I use the wasc recipe for everything. If my cake is for Saturday, I will start baking on thursday. Since I only have a regular household oven, it can very well take me all day to bake a 4 tier cake. And it did with this last one. I actually baked it wednesday and froze it because I need to carve the tiers (easier to carve when frozen). Normally, I do not ever start any earlier than thursday (for a saturday order) unless I intend to freeze it. I give it a two day shelf life for freshness. Anything after that and IMO, its an old cake. Maybe still tasty (leftovers are awesome for about a week!), but not the top quality my customers deserve. If you have friday and saturday off, I would bake the cakes in advance and freeze them. If you try to do everything in one day, (make fondant, make buttercream, bake cakes, decorate, UUGggghhhhh) you are going to be working a looong day. Even if you have an hour or so after work, you can bake one tier each evening. You can start monday, bake one tier after work, and freeze. Just make sure you wrap it really, really, really good. I wrap mine with plastic wrap. Usually not foil because I found that if Im not really careful, I can mush the foil into the side of the cake, and when I go to unwrap it, Ive got a funky shaped cake that doesnt go back to normal after its thawed.

IF you can make your buttercream and fondant in advance, that will help too since you will only have one day to work on this thing. I never count on working on a cake on the same day its due. That is cutting it too close for me. Just in case something goes wrong, Id rather pull an all nighter, than be late for a delivery.

If you have your fondant, buttercream, and cakes already made, that is going to give you plenty of time to do everything else on Friday. Just make sure you take your cakes out of the freezer (if you decide to do that) on Thursday night so they have time to thaw. Keep them wrapped while they are thawing. You can sit them on your counter.

Sorry if all that is kind of running together, lol! I hope it helps you a bit. Now I gotta get started on this thing for tomorrow. BTW, Im going to transport this thing fully stacked. PM me or something on Sunday and ask me how it went. That way I can tell you if I recommend it. icon_smile.gif

JCE62108 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:34am
post #6 of 7

It worked! Just so you know, its possible. I transported my fully stacked 4 tier sweet 16 cake 30 minutes away with no issues. Granted I was going 30 most of the way, I had my emergency blinkers on, and people were getting angry and shaking their fists when I took too long to go around a corner...but it got there in one piece! Better than stacking on site. I hate doing that. Much rather drive like Im 105, than stack on site. icon_smile.gif
LL

twinkie126 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 7

Good job javascript:emoticon('icon_biggrin.gif'), super beautiful cake. The best thing about this is: if the cake made the trip you won't have for sure a phone call later telling you the cake collapsed, that is why I love deliver my cakes fully stacked. (Heavy durty) thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%