Duff 'spray' ??????

Decorating By hobbymommy Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 8:11pm by hobbymommy

hobbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbymommy Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:15am
post #1 of 10

So, I have to use some spray, for the first time in my 9 yrs of cake decorating....on a Tinker Bell cake. At first, I explained that I had no airbrushing machine, so couldn't achieve the look that was desired. BUT, then I saw the Duff Spray colors at Michael's.....and here I go, wish me luck!

I'm planning to ice the cake Friday evening, applying fondant accents on Saturday before delivering the cake. WHEN should I spray???

Thanks,
Crystal

9 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 10

Before hand so you can see how it looks.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 10

is this like a shimmer spray? or is it a color?

If you're spraying on color I would do it before adding the fondant accents.

hobbymommy Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 10

It's a color spray. I knew that I'd spray before adding the fondant accents. But, my question was, should I spray immediately after icing the cake on Friday evening, or should I let it get cold in the fridge first & spray tomorrow when taking it out to add the fondant accents?

Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 10

I've used the Wilton spray before, you should be able to spray right after you ice, but give the spray time to dry, it will be wet for a little while.

hobbymommy Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 10

Ok, so I CAN spray immediately after icing.....a few more ???s I thought of....

I sometimes use water to smooth out my icing before using the Viva towels....will that affect my spray in any way?

Also, if I put it in the fridge (after letting it sit out a while to dry) overnight....it won't run?

Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 10

Ice your cake, get it completely done, smoothing everyting. Then spray, it's liquis food coloring so I think if you try to smooth after spraying you would be left with a mess. Also, I want to say that ANY condensation from moving from fridge to room temp WILL cause the sprays to run... not 100% sure of that. You may want to try a practice run with it. It definatly does NOT work like a airbrush....HTH.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 10

Condensation as a result of refridgeration will make spots in the sprayed area. Every dot of H2O condensation will create a dot of spray. That has been my experience. It took just one time icon_cry.gif and I learned to not refridgerate after spraying.

I'm in So Fla and don't even take chances in our "dry season" winter months. thumbsdown.gif

Sandy

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 10

I totally agree with gscout, do NOT refrigerate that cake after spraying.....it's not a good thing!!

Do you have a filling in the cake that requires refrigeration?? If not, don't put it in there.

When the cake is coming back to room temp and sometimes just while in the fridge it totally ruins the sprayed icing!

Also if you're using water to smooth your icing, you need to let it dry completely........you have to have it dry before using the viva though too right? That would stick if your cake was wet. The same way the spray would bead up in the fridge, it will bead up if your icing is "wet" at all!

hobbymommy Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 8:11pm
post #10 of 10

I do have fillings in there that need refrigeration. Strawberry jam in one tier, raspberry filling (jam & gelatin recipe) in the other. Soooo, I wonder how long before leaving with the cake I can take it out, ice it, spray it, then apply my fondant accents?

Also, yes, the water is usually completely dry by the time I use the VIVA PTs. So, it will be dry when I spray. I was mostly concerned w/the condensation from it going from the fridge to the humidity. I'm in Louisiana.....TERRIBLE humidity.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%